[Solved] Can't play most videos

oldgzr

Reaction score
When I click on a video from Facebook or YouTube the odds are that it will start out with decent audio but very jerky / nearly frozen video and within a few seconds stop with a message that says This video can't be played.
If the video shows whirling dots while loading it will play. If it shows a narrow spiraling line or a fat whirling line while loading it will not play.
If I delete all updates to the YouTube system app it might play one or two of the problem videos before returning to the consistent failin state.

OP
oldgzr

oldgzr

Reaction score
Well, I figured that one out on my own. I was using Chrome Beta as my browser and it wasn't playing the vids. I installed Dolphin and appear to be in good shape.

acejavelin

Reaction score
Stupid question... why wouldn't you just play the videos in the native video player or the YouTube app instead of Chrome?

OP
oldgzr

oldgzr

Reaction score
Because the ones I was trying to play were posted on FB by a guitar teacher, and they're posted via URL, and I don't know how to differentiate between a video URL and any other URL, and (excuse the run-on sentence) URL's went to Chrome, and FINALLY I couldn't find the same vids on YouTube even searching by name. (Whew.)
Not a stupid question. Maybe a stupid user.

acejavelin

Reaction score
What is "native video player?"

Gallery video player.

Are you on a non-rooted, stock ROM? If so then viewing in browser is probably your only option... If rooted you can modify a couple files, or on a custom ROM, and the links will automatically open with the appropriate app. HTClinkifydispatcher prevents this in stock ROMs.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

OP
oldgzr

oldgzr

Reaction score
Yes, non-rooted, totally stock. I used to dig into the guts of stuff, but I guess I've blown up one too many things and now I'm more likely to just use what I've got as long as it works.

acejavelin

Reaction score
Yes, non-rooted, totally stock. I used to dig into the guts of stuff, but I guess I've blown up one too many things and now I'm more likely to just use what I've got as long as it works.

Ok... Cool. Then it is working as intended. :-\

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk