Soft Plastic Backing on Maxx

JOSHSKORN

Reaction score
I am referring to the back of the phone, the layer of plastic, and then on top of it is a couple of stickers.

I've had my MAXX now for a little over a month. I haven't gotten a case that I like, and meanwhile, the back of my phone has gotten all scratched up. I halfway pulled off the protective plastic backing, and noticed that only the plastic was scuffed up, and the phone was fine.

I would like to peel off this plastic backing, and preserve the stickers. Can I buy plastic (with, I guess you call it adhesive) to fit the phone?

Is there a point to keeping those stickers, really?

Case wise, I purchased the Otterbox commuter case, which I absolutely hate. Why? I use my phone a lot on the car dock and the two do not fit. I read that they do, and the poster was incorrect at my expense. I'm thinking of trying a ZAGG InvisibleSHIELD case. It looks thin enough to fit the car dock. Plus, I wasn't impressed with the size of the Otterbox Commuter's screen protector.

jtc303

Reaction score
Cases and screen protectors are unnecessary in my opinion I don't use 1 now and I didn't use 1 on my X and I haven't had any issues

OP
J

JOSHSKORN

Reaction score
Cases and screen protectors are unnecessary in my opinion I don't use 1 now and I didn't use 1 on my X and I haven't had any issues
That's what I'm thinking. I don't plan on purposely dropping my phone 6 feet above or throwing it across the room or anything like that on purpose. The only thing I can think of that might damage it is if I run over it. I'm disabled, I'm in a wheelchair. Why would I do that unless I've had too many shots of whiskey or something and just being an idiot? That's the only reason I can think of. The screen has been fine without a case, it's just the back I'm concerned about. That all said, the highest it would be dropped is about 3 feet, onto either concrete or wood floor. I've dropped my phone in my van a couple of times while attempting to dock/undock it, but it lands on a soft surface. No big deal there.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
The zagg or the military shield are great. Zagg is kind of grippy to me though. But I have one of each one my two maxx's, they're a pita to install on the sides... but the screen and back are cake..

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

jtc303

Reaction score
Ahh i see.. Its worth the risk... phone is so sexy why cover it with crap you dont need? Just be mindful when using it and you should be good

RicKaysen

Reaction score
I keep mine in a hard shell case. It does detract form the appearance of the phone and when I feel like being flashy, the MAXX goes full monty. However, I like to protect the phone from everyday wear and tear beacause eventually, it's going to end up on eBay when some shiney new toy gets released and I like to be able to say it's in like new condition.

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
The case/no case, screen protector is and has been a debated issue probably since cell phones became a pocketable device.

The Facts are:
- These are $600+ devices that maybe one has insurance and maybe not BUT even with insurance it is a $100.00 mistake and you will receive a refurb to replace your once new phone.

- Maybe with luck all you will have to endure is a dinged, dented, scratched once new - still functional phone.

- It only takes one drop and doubtful it would be intentional.

- There are drawbacks as well as advantages to cases, as an example my OtterBox Commuter actually makes my Maxx buttons easier to use on a daily basis.

- Bottom line, ALL phones are owned by one person that can do with the device what they choose, I am not trying to convince anyone to ensconse their pocket computer in a case because I don't think I own any phone case company stock.

Proceed at your own risk.

d828

Reaction score
Soft Plastic Backing on Maxx - Did you ever figure out how to fix it?

Did you ever figure out how to fix it? Or whether you should keep the 2 labels with numbers but take the plastic cover off? Mine is doing the same thing after a couple months and i don't know whether to tape it back on or what.

I am referring to the back of the phone, the layer of plastic, and then on top of it is a couple of stickers.

I've had my MAXX now for a little over a month. I haven't gotten a case that I like, and meanwhile, the back of my phone has gotten all scratched up. I halfway pulled off the protective plastic backing, and noticed that only the plastic was scuffed up, and the phone was fine.

I would like to peel off this plastic backing, and preserve the stickers. Can I buy plastic (with, I guess you call it adhesive) to fit the phone?

Is there a point to keeping those stickers, really?

Case wise, I purchased the Otterbox commuter case, which I absolutely hate. Why? I use my phone a lot on the car dock and the two do not fit. I read that they do, and the poster was incorrect at my expense. I'm thinking of trying a ZAGG InvisibleSHIELD case. It looks thin enough to fit the car dock. Plus, I wasn't impressed with the size of the Otterbox Commuter's screen protector.

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
d828 said:
Did you ever figure out how to fix it? Or whether you should keep the 2 labels with numbers but take the plastic cover off? Mine is doing the same thing after a couple months and i don't know whether to tape it back on or what.

The plastic can be pulled off and and stuck to something else. I personally stuck it to my RAZR reciept and put it in the box.

The IMEI number can also be found in the SD card flap. So in all honesty you could just throw the thing away. I just kept mine for completion sake.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
2nd for peeling off the stickers, I stuck them to the refrigerator door. (just to piss off the old lady, but she never said a thing!?!)

Cases and screen protectors will be argued over forever. I use them to protect my phone, because it is an expensive tool that I use every day. I find nothing sexy about a cell phone, but what ever floats your boat. One case I've got for my last three phones its the Verizon basket weave. It doesn't add much bulk and has a kick stand so you can watch videos hands free.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

jtc303

Reaction score
JohnnytheK said:
2nd for peeling of the stickers, I stuck them to the refrigerator door.

Cases and screen protectors will be argued over forever. I use them to protect my phone, because it is an expensive tool that I use every day. I find nothing sexy about a cell phone, but what ever floats your boat. One case I've got for my last three phones its the Verizon basket weave. It doesn't add much bulk and has a kick stand so you can watch videos hands free.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Ok maybe sexy was the wrong word... i just dont like how cases look and make my phone bigger.. and not a fan of screen protectors... i just take good care of it... did the same with my X and sold it for almost as much as i paid for it a year and a half earlier...

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
I never use cases because I don't think build quality should ever be sacrificed because "everyone is going to put a case on it anyway".

I don't mind paying a premium for premium materials and aesthetics. I have to look at the damn thing and hold it everyday.

Plus, better materials are usually more durable anyway. And if I accidentally break it and it's going to hurt my wallet that bad and make me late on my bills I probably shouldn't have a smartphone anyway.

jtc303

Reaction score
zomnomnombie said:
I never use cases because I don't think build quality should ever be sacrificed because "everyone is going to put a case on it anyway".

I don't mind paying a premium for premium materials and aesthetics. I have to look at the damn thing and hold it everyday.

Plus, better materials are usually more durable anyway. And if I accidentally break it and it's going to hurt my wallet that bad and make me late on my bills I probably shouldn't have a smartphone anyway.

Amen!

OP
J

JOSHSKORN

Reaction score
Unfortunately no. Maybe I'll just look up something on Amazon, cut it myself and transfer the stickers over. Unless, someone else has a better (or cheaper LOL) idea.

EDIT: I just received a ZAGG invisible shield. It came with some sort of "Smoother" to help install the cover. I thought I'd try it out on the plastic backing. No such luck. Unfortunately, some of the adhesive has worn off the plastic. I'll have to look into something else before installing the invisible shield.

Last edited: