So we cant turn off the dimming feature huh?

JeffDenver

Reaction score
I would like to find out how to completely disable the dimming feature on my phone without using widgets or apps..

I tried to google this. Apparently a lot of people have asked the same thing going back to 2009. But in all the links the responses were either to use a widget (which has to be displayed) or were along the lines of "why would you want to do that?" (those responses always irritate me....why do they need to know my motives? Why does that even matter?).

The actual solutions were chirping crickets.

Setting "Stay awake" in the developer settings will keep the screen from turning off (only while charging) but will not prevent dimming.

So is there something obvious I am missing? Is there a way to completely disable the dimming feature? My phone is rooted, so if there is some system file I can change or delete I will do that as well.

Thanks in advance.

RaptorKC

Reaction score
Settings > Display > Brightness
Uncheck Automatic Brightness

OP
JeffDenver

JeffDenver

Reaction score
Did that a long time ago. It has no effect at all.

It will keep my default brightness level where I want it, but it will not prevent the screen from dimming after a while.

Also tried Settings -> Display -> Screen timeout. All that does it prevent dimming for that time, and it maxes out at 30 minutes. After 30 minutes it will dim anyway.

And I do have the "Stay awake" box checked under developer settings. This will keep it awake, but it will still dim. And even then it only works while charging.

If I could find a way to get it to never ever dim again, that would be ideal. Like maybe delete a system file or something. I have absolutely no use for the dimming feature. I like to control brightness manually.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
you could try Screebl, which will keep your screen on longer.

The phone is programmed to dim the screen to save battery life. What exactly do you need it to never dim for? The only thing I can think of is using the browser or reading some type of app that doesn't have the screen stay lit during use.

OP
JeffDenver

JeffDenver

Reaction score
The screen is off when I am not using it. I physically turn it off when it is in my pocket. I guarantee you that saves more battery life than any amount of dimming. At the very least, why the hell do you need to dim when it is plugged in? That makes no sense.

In any event, it is a little obnoxious that we dont have the option to disable it. And from the google searches I did, it is obvious I'm not the first one to complain about it. There really is no reason that this should NOT be in the standard display settings.

I have tried screebl before. It did not stop the dimming either. It will keep the screen awake, but will not prevent dimming.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I understand what you want to do, and I know it doesn't matter why, but I am curious why you'd need this? Is there anything you would do on your phone, where it would be on for more then 30 minutes without you needing to touch the screen?:icon_eek:

OP
JeffDenver

JeffDenver

Reaction score
I use it as a clock on my desk at work.

I use it as a clock and radio in the car. I keep on the desktop in both places.

crspang

Reaction score
It's ironic that you posted this. I was complaining about this same issue today and have wondered why there was no option to stop this action too!

And for the folks who post "why would you want this any way?" I use an app called navionics for chartplotting while boating and its aggravating as hell to have the screen dim when using a map app.

I could understand it if the phone was not being charged, but while its plugged in, wth?

Sent from my PC36100 using DroidForums

ftajeffrey

Reaction score
My GPS has been doing this as of late. Used to stay bright the entire trip. Brightness comes back at about 1/2 to 1/4 mile before an action is required, I have found no way to disable this feature, so I would like to know as well if there is a fix...

googlelover

Reaction score
Go to the market and find adj brightness, it has an option to set the brightness on the screen to X setting and you can make it so no other app, including the system if your rooted, can turn the backlight to any other brightness. You can lock the phone screen and the backlight will still stay on. Go check it out and see if its the app your looking for?
Edit: Since you said you like to control the brightness manually in this app you can change the brightness from 2-255, toggle the capactive buttons lights on or off, set a custom screen timeout time. The setting for the main reason you want the app is under options in screen brightness.

vatothe0

Reaction score
I would like to find out how to completely disable the dimming feature on my phone without using widgets or apps..

It's not a feature of the OS so you have to use an app or widget. Same as listening to streaming radio or any of the thousands of other things apps are needed for.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

OP
JeffDenver

JeffDenver

Reaction score
Brightness controls sound like something that should be included in the OS though. You really should not need an app to prevent the screen from dimming IMO.

OP
JeffDenver

JeffDenver

Reaction score
Go to the market and find adj brightness

I tried this...didnt work. The OS overrides it. Thank you for the suggestion though.