So Rooted on 2.2 OTA Now, where to continue?!

fizik

Reaction score
So I finished my rooting of the 2.2 OTA, I'd like to go forward and deodex my phone but I'm seeing mixed posts about Recovery and Bootstrapping.

I went to the market about bought ClockworkMod's Droid X Recovery Bootstrap.. I'm assuming that's all I need to make a back up and go start my deodexing?

Is there any other app at this point that I'm missing as a necessity on the phone?

Thanks.

s0n-

Reaction score
Ya best thing to do is install DroidXBootStrap make sure its 1.0.0.3 and then do a backup. Get xUltimate and manually deodex your phone, there might be an update.zip but I havent seen one, but xultimate is so easy it doesnt even matter.

Then get theming!

mau5hunter

Reaction score
Ya best thing to do is install DroidXBootStrap make sure its 1.0.0.3 and then do a backup. Get xUltimate and manually deodex your phone, there might be an update.zip but I havent seen one, but xultimate is so easy it doesnt even matter.

Then get theming!

you do not need to deodex your phone .... just install a rom that already has it done.

two birds w/ one stone

also get to the market and get yourself rom manager. this will hold most of your post rooting options.

OP
fizik

fizik

Reaction score
So is there a difference between Koush's Droid X Bootstrapper or CWM Recovery?

I kept reading about the two and some people are talking about having both of them on the phone. Confusing me on what I need exactly for the theming/rom process.

mau5hunter

Reaction score
So is there a difference between Koush's Droid X Bootstrapper or CWM Recovery?

I kept reading about the two and some people are talking about having both of them on the phone. Confusing me on what I need exactly for the theming/rom process.

I am not sure about koush. Boot strap is somewhat of a fill in app and soon it should be integrated into rom manager, so you will only need it, or another manager.

No, you do not need both koush and boot strap to rom.

hoops8

Reaction score
I think the Droid X Bootstrapper Recovery app in the Market is made by Koush. I am not sure so someone please correct me if I am wrong.

carcrazygts2

Reaction score
the boot strapper is made by koush along with rom manager. the boot strapper allows clockwork mod recovery to intsall. you need both.

OP
fizik

fizik

Reaction score
Oh, maybe thats why I went into that bootloop after installing Droid X Bootstrapper and hitting Boot Recovery and didn't flash CWM Recovery from Rom Manager?

Well I have them both installed this time. Just scared of booting into recovery to try again because of what happened last time.

It was so bad, I had to end up going back to VZW to get another phone.