So riddle me this!

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Everything is fine, installed all my apps, etc... I set up my corporate email account like I did on my DX, only this time it says that my Administrator requires that my phone's storage and SD card be encrypted. I try to opt out, but it keeps annoying me and finally I say ok.

Which disables my SD card, leaves an icon on the notification bar saying it is checking the SD card for errors.... Been doing it for 35 minutes now, and it is like the SD card is not even mounted. Cannot access it, says it isn't there.

Is this just something that will take an hour or two, or is there a problem? Yesterday I did a hard reset to factory defaults and it fixed it, but as soon as I set up the corp email again, it wanted to encrypt the SD card and now it doesn't work. The internal storage seems to though.

Should I just assume that encrypting a 16GB SD card that has 8GB of data on it will take a long time and let it do it's thing? Or is going to be a problem on this phone using corporate email? Why wasn't this ever an issue with the DX?

I am stumped and don't want to have to do yet another hard reset and waste another 2 hours setting up the phone, for a third time.

Advice? Help! LOL

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I would say that I will take a long time to encrypt 8 GB of data for sure.

Not sure on the time, but I hope you have it all backed up somewhere.

OP
SquireSCA

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it is all the music and .apk files I had on the DX, I copied them to my PC and then copied them to the new phone.

Once it is done, will I still be able to use the internal storage and SD card like a USB drive through the cable, or will the encryption block that?

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I would imagine you should be but you can't take the card out and put it in another phone now IIRC without unencrypting. Not 100% on that, but that's what I know from PC land.

OP
SquireSCA

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ok, cool. This phone has a lot of internal storage, so I will copy all of my pics and music and apps and stuff to that. I will use the SD card only for movies that I ripped from my DVD collection.

Sounds like I just have to let this thing run for the next couple hours to complete, then I can delete the contents of the SD card and just copy movies to it.

If I run into any other issues, I will post them here. I am sure I won't be the only person using Corporate Email and running into this new encryption feature... Thanks!

OP
SquireSCA

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ok, cool. This phone has a lot of internal storage, so I will copy all of my pics and music and apps and stuff to that. I will use the SD card only for movies that I ripped from my DVD collection.

Sounds like I just have to let this thing run for the next couple hours to complete, then I can delete the contents of the SD card and just copy movies to it.

If I run into any other issues, I will post them here. I am sure I won't be the only person using Corporate Email and running into this new encryption feature... Thanks!

3 hours and counting, still no SD card access, still checking it says...

OP
SquireSCA

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
4 hours and counting... Is this a bug? Could it really take this long to encrypt an SD card, or should I pull the card and just have to give up having an SD slot? I cannot imagine anything taking more than 4 hours to complete. Not sure what to do here...

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Wow, I thinking 2 maybe 3 hours. Can you leave it plugged in over night?

No status bar or % completed?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

bjorn65

Reaction score
it's time to take to Verizon. I have no problems with my phone.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

OP
SquireSCA

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Wow, I thinking 2 maybe 3 hours. Can you leave it plugged in over night?

No status bar or % completed?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Nope, if you go into settings and storage, it says that no card is present or mounted. All you have is the icon on the notification bar, and when you swipe that down to read the desctiption, it just says "Preparing SD card. Checking for errors"

Been saying that since 10am, and it is now 2:30pm.

OP
SquireSCA

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
it's time to take to Verizon. I have no problems with my phone.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Are you using corporate email that requires encryption? I was not even given an opportunity to opt out of it.

OP
SquireSCA

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
So I figured it out. After letting it allegedly encrypt for 9+ hours I gave up. I deleted the corporate email account that required the encryption, and pulled the SD card and reinserted it, formatted it and it was fine. Went through setting that email account up a few times to see if I missed a step, etc...

Here is what I finally discovered...

1) If the Exchange server requires the encryption, you are not given a choice to opt out of it unless the phone lacks the capability, which was why I never had this problem with the DX. You must encrypt the internal storage and the SD card in order to set up such an email account.

2) In order to encrypt, you must have a password or PIN set up. It does NOT tell you this, and that was my problem. It wanted to encrypt, but with the encryption based on a PIN and there being no PIN, it just sat there in limbo. It does not tell you that you need a PIN or that you have to set one up, and that was the problem.

3) To use such an email account, it sets that account up as an Admin of the phone, and you cannot go and change any of the settings that the "Admin" requires. They have control of your phone, which I am not comfortable with.

Anyway, hopefully this will help people who run into this...