Smiley faces for sms

JekyllandHyde

Reaction score
I've have been looking all over the market for an app that would give me some custom smiley faces but I can't find any. I would like to have ones similar to the ones I can use on AIM or like the ones I see on the computer in forums. Or maybe what I want isn't gonna work on a phone anyway if anyone knows where I could get more smileys it would be appreciated :)

Laur3nNewm4n

Reaction score
Are you rooted or not? If you are, you can use Metamorph (I can help you there) to apply new .pngs to your framework-res (which has a lot of the phone's theme in it).

If you aren't rooted, I don't have a solution for you yet.

Laur3nNewm4n

Reaction score
You can use an app called Metamorph to change out the smiley .png images in the framework-res folder.

Metamorph is available on the market. You will have to find .png images or create them yourself that you'd want to swap out. The smiley names you'll need to replace are:

emo_im_angel.png
emo_im_cool.png
emo_im_crying.png
emo_im_foot_in_mouth.png
emo_im_happy.png
emo_im_kissing.png
emo_im_laughing.png
emo_im_lips_are_sealed.png
emo_im_money_mouth.png
emo_im_sad.png
emo_im_surprised.png
emo_im_tongue_sticking_out.png
emo_im_undecided.png
emo_im_winking.png
emo_im_wtf.png
emo_im_yelling.png

Find image to replace those, and on your computer, put them in this folder architecture:
new folder/framework-res/res/drawable-hdpi/image.png

Then, create a .thm control file (info here): How To: Creating Metamorph Themes and save it in the root of the new folder you created (don't put it in framework-res folder). Use this tool to convert the .thm to an .xml file: [RELEASE] Metamorph - Theme Control File Upgrader - xda-developers Make sure you remember the name of the theme you used in the .thm, and name the .xml file that name. For example, if you want to call the theme sms, make sure the .xml file is called sms.xml, and that inside the .xml, you've named the theme sms.

Zip together the .xml and the framework-res folder, and call the zip the same name you've used. (sms.xml).

Put the zip in a folder called AndroidThemes on the root of your SD card.

Open Metamorph on your phone, and click unzip a new theme, and select the .zip you just uploaded, and let it do the rest. You'll have to reboot for it to take effect.

If you don't want to mess around with creating your own theme file, send me the .pngs you want to swap out the stock smileys with, and I'll do it for you. :)

Laur3nNewm4n

Reaction score
Also, I'm not sure what type of screen the Droid X has, so you'll want to create a copy of the drawable-hdpi folder, and rename it drawable-mdpi, and put both of those in the .zip.

Also, for God's sake, make a backup of your ROM before you try this, in case you mess something up. lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Or you can dl my theme :D

snap20110112_113557.png

:welcome: to the forum! :D

Laur3nNewm4n

Reaction score
Or you can dl my theme :D

:welcome: to the forum! :D

I love it when I find other girls on the forums because they usually have themes that give me ideas for my own, since they're not all masculine and horrendous.

I think I'd go nuts with that much pink, though. haha

OP
J

JekyllandHyde

Reaction score
Ok im new to all this kind of stuff but I want to learn it so the first question is am I limited to the 16 smileys or can I add to the original list? And second can I mess up my phone if I don't do something right?

Laur3nNewm4n

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you're limited to those smileys, unless the ROM you're using has more. (You can check that out by looking at the framework-res.apk in your current ROM and seeing what other emo_im .pngs are in there.) They're the traditional :) / :p / :-*, etc. smilies that any text app should have, so I'm not sure what others you'd want. Make sure you name your new .pngs correctly.

And yes. Any time you play around in the system files, you can mess up something. Typically, my most common mess up is sending the phone into a boot-loop. If you backup your current ROM before you make changes, you can easily restore it.

OP
J

JekyllandHyde

Reaction score
Ok right now I am using the stock ROM but I would like to get a different one but I haven't done it yet and I've also wanted to try different themes so I guess I could just get a different theme that has smileys that I like better

Laur3nNewm4n

Reaction score
Yes, that would be another good, all encompassing option. If you decide you like everything else about the theme besides the smileys, using something like Metamorph is a really easy way to change it without going through changing themes or ROMs.

Most of the ROMs I've seen (specifically Cyanogen, Onyx Concepts, or Bugless Beast) don't generally change the smileys (exceptions exist, of course). So you'll probably need to open up a theme .zip to check the emo_im .pngs to see if they're changed.

OP
J

JekyllandHyde

Reaction score
Ok well then I'll look around for some themes and roms and then if I wanted to i could go in and just change the smileys

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ok im new to all this kind of stuff but I want to learn it so the first question is am I limited to the 16 smileys or can I add to the original list?
You can't add unless the app supports adding more. The app has to know what text to interpret as a smiley. Unless the app is designed to be extensible then the app would have to be re-coded for additional smileys (not likely).