slacker

FSTTYMS

Reaction score
I use the Droid speaker all day long, to strea music out of my pocket or on my desk. I plug it in to my truck with an audio input when I drive. I use an audio cable when I ride my motorcycle and listen to tunes inside my helmet (unless we are in a no service zone, then I rock my ipod).

If the speaker is distorting, turn the music down. Its a cell phone for f-sake! Use it for what it is worth. I be if you compare the speakers of other cell phones, you will find the Droid has a pretty nice set up.

Litrekid

Reaction score
I just tried slacker for the first time with my Sony ear buds and I see what he is talking about. The bass is distorted with little volume. It sounds like it is coming through the speaker this way not being produced by the speaker. If that makes sense.

OP
athensparks

athensparks

Reaction score
that is exactly what i am talking about. i thought it was my phone only but it seems to be a glitch in either the app or through motorola.

trucker get back on your bike and stop posting it has nothing to do with volume. enjoy your country lullabies and stay out of this.

all my original post was trying to figure out was if the 2.1 OS will solve this problem?

Rudy

Reaction score
Great post, Rudy. By any chance do you know the bit rate Pandora streams on Droid at its two quality settings? I read somewhere that it's 64kbps mono on the iPhone, but I can't find anything about the Droid.

Found this:

Sound Quality
I was pleased with Pandora's sound quality over 3G and Wi-Fi. The music quality in kilobits per second varies based on the quality of the connection. On Wi-Fi and 3G, it's near 128 kbps, but when it's on EDGE, it drops down to 64 kbps. On EDGE, the app skipped and stuttered a lot and was basically unlistenable. I would only recommend using this with 3G or Wi-Fi.

The Preferences option, accessible by tapping the Menu button, lets you change whether you want your music to play in high or normal quality. If you have a great connection over Wi-Fi, it's best to go with high and if your connection's a little more spotty, go with normal.

This was written from a Tmo/AT&T angle though, since our Droids barely ever drop off of 3G, I would imagine setting it to high would be the best. I never knew this option was there until now, but I have set it to high and I'm going to see how the response is.

Rudy

Reaction score
that is exactly what i am talking about. i thought it was my phone only but it seems to be a glitch in either the app or through motorola.

trucker get back on your bike and stop posting it has nothing to do with volume. enjoy your country lullabies and stay out of this.

all my original post was trying to figure out was if the 2.1 OS will solve this problem?

I doubt it. As I said, I haven't noticed a problem but if there is one, it's a problem with Slacker, not the phone. If ALL audio was distorted like this, then 2.1 might help, but since it's only from this app you would have to point your finger there.

Have you tried playing it over wifi?

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
Droid2 will have an optional subwoofer, it comes in a box you carry with the phone so you hear nothing but bass so you can not only annoy people in the car, but on the go. Man they think of everything nowadays.

I also heard the D2 Sub would have wheels and a retractable handle like used on luggage. Can't wait to get one of those!!

:icon_ devil:

swallman

Reaction score
I know that Pandora has a setting under Preferences to select "High" or "Normal" quality. Not sure if Slacker has a similar setting ?

OP
athensparks

athensparks

Reaction score
that was my next step and in fact i was going to ask if using it over wifi would also drain the battery? i will try it on both and report. As for pandora, i have been using that now that slacker has been letting me down and i have had it on high since last week adn i havent had any problems that would make me want to go down to normal.

GrillMouster

Reaction score
... I never knew this option was there until now, but I have set it to high and I'm going to see how the response is.

I set it to high from on day 1 of installing Pandora on the Droid, and I haven't had any problems with interrupted play on 3G.

triptych

Reaction score
Using wifi when wifi is available will save your battery. Leaving wifi on when you are using a 3g connection drains it.

Responce to initial question-
Slacker radio lied to you. If it was motorola or androids problem, all your music would sound like hell. Slacker streams at a low bit rate, which is causing certain frequencies to be distorted.

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
it's not the apps fault. it's Android and/or the hardware. watching movies, listening to music on the stock player, and the base is horrid and unacceptable.

So is your spelling. It's a frickin phone, what do you expect, a subwoofer?

The Droid has one of the best/loudest phone speakers I have ever heard. I can't believe anyone is complaining.

no misspellings there sorry. was just typing quickly (on my droid :) ), so my sentences were brief...

edit: with quality headphones, the base is really poor. i don't care too much, but it is true.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Doesn't surprise me, considering slacker streams piss poor quality.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Doesn't surprise me, considering slacker streams piss poor quality.
You don't know how much this response added to the o.p.'s original posting.

Instead of hooking it up to your car stereo and turning up the audio 100%, leave it about 75 or 80% and you might notice that the audio sounds better. When Slacker first came out for the Droid, I couldn't listen to it in the car at all, in fact I thought my front left speaker in my Jeep was blown. The newer versions of Slacker fixed a lot of the problems, but still not as good as the Slacker app for the Blackberry. See if not turning the audio up 100% helps in your car.

OP
athensparks

athensparks

Reaction score
i was able to use my wifi and used Slacker successfully without any base distortion as soon as i turned off wifi it went back to distortion, so at least we know it is with the 3g vs. wifi.

Big Cam

Reaction score
SO I started another thread before seeing this one.

I have the same complaint but with headphones.

I'm talking about having the volume at maybe half and it is really distorted, on my BB Curve I could crank slacker or pandora and the bass was fine.

I know it's not my headphones because if I plug them into my 5 year old ipod, the bass is fine. It sounds like a busted subwoofer in my ear.

EDIT: I didn't see the post above me. Well this sucks.