Skype mobile in Froyo

Venable

Reaction score
Hi all, I have the "leaked" version of froyo on an unrooted Droid X. When I upgraded, I wiped everything, so unsurprisingly Skype disappeared. However, I have been unable to install it again:

It doesn't show up when I search in the Android Market.

When I go to skype.com/m, I am forwarded to the mobiledownload.skype.com site ("Skype mobile for DROID X by Motorola"), but when I click on "Download now", it either takes me to the Market, where I get "The requested item could not be found" or I get something along the lines of "Skype mobile not available for your device" (I haven't been able to reproduce this recently, so I'm not sure exactly what it said).

Any advice?

debaucher

Reaction score
You did not need to wipe your X to get 2.2 installed, but that is moot now as it already happened.

You need to edit the build.prop to change the market to see the DroidX as a Droid2 until verizon releases the OTA 2.2 (at which point the market will be updated to recognize the DroidX with 2.2).

Go here http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...reat-battery-life-fast-phone-full-market.html for more information.

Good luck.

D.

OP
V

Venable

Reaction score
Thanks a lot, I will look into those methods.

Do both the ways discussed in the link (ADB and Root Explorer) require rooting the phone? I haven't yet but this might push me over the edge.

debaucher

Reaction score
ADB does not require root but root explorer does.
Rooting on the X with 2.2 is easy using the droid2 method.

Good luck

D.