Six Month Cycle for Next Android - Will Combine Honeycomb and Gingerbread

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
android_ice_cream1.jpg

Eric Schmidt gave his keynote presentation at MWC today. The most interesting bit of info that he shared was really more of a teaser. He indicated that the next iteration of Android for the smartphones and tablets will arrive according to a "six month cycle" schedule after Honeycomb. More importantly, he indicated that it will be a combination of Honeycomb and Gingerbread that combines them into a cohesive whole. He also hinted that it's name will start with the letter "i" and be named after a dessert.

We kinda already knew that last part. ;)

Source: Android.net via Engadget

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
The only ones who cares about the release schedule is Google. The phone manufacturers take their sweet ass time getting them out to phones because they have to motoblur the crap outta it or sense it.

kinfolk248

Reaction score
wish google would get like apple a little and kinda cut off some of these phone manufacturers from adding crapware on their phones cus this is getting outragous with so many different ppl pushing phones out with so many different google skins, gosh im just saying guys, im just saying. by the time one phone comes out the next google dessert will be ready for serving if something isnt done cus its already heading that way FASTTT, fast dont lie lol

it would be best if the differ skins were an optional OTA download...!!!

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Problem is, if Google were to block mfrs from doing their own thing then Android wouldn't be open source.

I wouldn't have a problem with it if the phones weren't locked down. I wish they'd have to do their Sense or Blur like any other home replacement that just becomes an app to go on your phone.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Oh, and VZW having to give the final blessing before an update can be pushed only slows the process further.

bazar6

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.imbazar.me
Oh, and VZW having to give the final blessing before an update can be pushed only slows the process further.

I think this is the slowest step of the entire process! VZW wants ask every single question before authorizing an OTA, every time. I'm glad I'm rooted, that way I go by Googles releases and what the Dev's are able to do (y'all are awesome by the way! :icon_ banana:)

luv2increase

Reaction score
Its funny that we have been so spoiler by Google with ever increasingly short periods of time between releases of new versions of Android. Instead of us being content of the NSA giving us a new release of Android so quickly, we get upset.

Lets all be happy folks. :)

Sent via DX free with Liberty 1.5

DaWolf85

Reaction score
Its funny that we have been so spoiler by Google with ever increasingly short periods of time between releases of new versions of Android. Instead of us being content of the NSA giving us a new release of Android so quickly, we get upset.

Lets all be happy folks. :)

Sent via DX free with Liberty 1.5
Don't get me wrong, I love Google for releasing so many updates to Android.
But I really hate the mfrs and the carriers for dripping those updates to phones. It's really quite sad that devices are still releasing with 2.1, let alone some of those really low numbers that some cheap tablets have.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I think ice cream will be really slick and after that you won't be chomping at the bit for upgrades every month.

At some point there's not much gained with updates. Theoretically I could go back to Win2000 and not miss anything. Of course it's a little different with smartphones as there's so many features and ways to interact that we haven't even thought of yet.

But really the only thing that I know of specifically that I'm looking forward to on Ice Cream is scrollable widgets being stock ( I realize a few home launcher already have that). Well, and dual core support.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
^I have Froyo on my Droid 1 and X. And I'm already not chomping at the bit for the next update..lol

I havent even put any custom ROMs on my Droid 1 after Froyo officially launched. I'm on stock Froyo, no custom ROMs, themes on the X too.

I mostly went the custom ROM route for better performance and battery life before Froyo, not really the features. I'm content where my phones are at now.