[ROM] SimplexROM | A5 | Toro

EmericanX

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
This is what I've been spending the little free time I've had working on! It started as a self challenge... and momma didn't raise no quitter! lol

This ROM I still consider alpha... I would expect some issues! I haven't notice any yet.. but if anyone notices any... fell free to let me know!
This is still a work in progress but I am very impressed so far with the out come. I am extremely happy with how it is turning out so far. As far
as what I'm most impressed by so far is battery life! Typically by lunch (5-6 hours off charger) I'm looking for a place to plug in. First day in on
the latest build last checked was 12hours with 70% left!

::::: Disclaimer ::::::
Tampering with system files can be harmful to your device. Should you decide to proceed, you do so at your own risk!

Myself, DroidForums.net, or any other party cannot be held responsible for what you decide to do! Your device, your decision, your
brick should something go wrong!
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

-Credits-

Too many developers to note: I've spent quite a bit of time digging through GitHub and other resources
to start really figuring out what was going on! I want to thank all that post open source. As noted below
I did source my Frameworks/Base from team gummy, but I have purposely stripped alot of the features
out of it that they implemented. I do not want anyone to think that I am building a KANGED ROM! This is
more of a learning experience for me which I've decided to share with you.

TeamGummy- Sourced Frameworks/Base - Used as base - stripped alot away leaving what I needed.CM - For some Source! - Toggles.
Dhacker29 - really a helping hand in this process and someone that listened to my bickering when I was stuck! Lol
Doug Piston - for helping figure out root problems
And of coarse Google for android!

Known Issues:
None that I'm aware of.

Things added/changed from AOSP:
Rebased Framework/Base for Notification Toggles and Advance power menu.
Pulled the required items needed for the SIM card to function properly.
Modified build to leave Clockwork recovery in tact...
Modified build to Include Busybox & ChainsDD SU - Root Items
Built an Unsecured Boot.img for ADB Root permissions!
GApps cooked in! All as far as I can tell fully functional...
Removed wifi tether provisions.

This was built for personal use... but now that I've got pretty much a stock base that has what I use regularly. I intend to expand on it. As I've stated I'm new to this side of things so don't expect miricles... but if you encounter an issue. Feel free to let me know!

Download - SimplexROM-Toro-A5 - 3/36/2012

-old downloads-
1-20-2012 -Download - Full Toro 4.0.3 Aosp-A3
1-18-2012 -Download - Full_Toro_4.0.3_Aosp-A2
1-16-2010 -Download - Full_Toro_4.0.3_Aosp_Rooted

-Change Log-
3-26-2012 - Named Rom! lol, Sourced in notification toggles and advanced power menu. Some house cleaning.1-18-2012 - Update "A3" - Fixed calendar sync that was borked on last update. Themed geniewidget(weather)
and settings widget backgrounds.
1-18-2012 - Update "A2" - Set default wallpaper. Fixed auto correct dictionary. Removed tether provisions.
1-16-2012 - initial release

Nemo Aeternamn

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
haha... nice... battery life sounds quite impressive... downloading now... firing boot manager...haha...thank you for this

GeLopez

Reaction score
Quick question: how can it be certified stable release and be alpha at the same time? Trying it now

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
For the two posters above, can you guys update on how your battery life is after using this Rom for a day or so? I'm interested on whether the battery is as good as it claims to be, and if so, I'll give it a shot.

OP
EmericanX

EmericanX

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Quick question: how can it be certified stable release and be alpha at the same time? Trying it now

Because I'm runnung it now... and haven't encountered a single issue yet. Lol. I'll remove alpha on the next release. :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2 Beta-4

thisiswang

Reaction score
just flashed this rom and noticed it said GApps were cooked in but when i got into the phone there was no gmail, market, etc... flashed in kejar's gapps from gummy

OP
EmericanX

EmericanX

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Yeah... I need to update the OP... the previous build had gapps... I left them out of the newest. Sorry about that

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

GeLopez

Reaction score
For the two posters above, can you guys update on how your battery life is after using this Rom for a day or so? I'm interested on whether the battery is as good as it claims to be, and if so, I'll give it a shot.

a great SLIM rom and battery seems to be better, its been a day only so no much to go by.

however (oh oh) when changing from one screen to another the stock launcher seems to studder a lot using the nexus neural network live wallpaper. this is after installing Gapps and the temple run app only. i really didnt check it before installing Gapps.

OP
EmericanX

EmericanX

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Thanks man. As far as the studdering I hadn't noticed it. Of coarse I haven't been using the stock launcher. So I'll look into it

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

mmead1143

Reaction score
Okay here's my feedback after having the Rom for 2 full days:

I love this Rom!! It's simple and works. I've always liked Roms that are more stripped down and basic...they simply work well/efficiently. This Rom seems to be in the same mode. I do love CM9, Gummy, etc and the backgrounds/graphics there can't be beat but overall I prefer straight forward Roms that run like a diesel truck...this Rom is right up my alley.

First the battery seems to last an extra 10-15% compared to Bugless Beast (I'm a big fan), CM9, AOKP and Gummy's rom. Some of these roms I haven't used in the last couple weeks so it may not be an apples-apples comparison. Also each GENEX device differs a bit so it may ONLY be my actual hardware. Lastly on this issue: it is in NO way scientific!! I'm just ballparking the fact that I'm seemingly getting an extra 2 hours per full charge compared to my normal usage, which could be vastly different than anyone else's usage.

There doesn't seem to be an installed dictionary on my text and email...this is kind of weird. All words are underlined as if they are spelled incorrectly. this could simply be a setting...but I can't find a solution. Any help is appreciated. There is a dictionary installed so I'm not sure.

No GAPPS is included on the latest zip...not a big deal but w/e

I added Nova Launcher and killed the other launchers...works flawlessly.

Hotplug setting randomly turns my phone off. That said, Hotplug has never worked from any Rom or Kernel I've used...I've always had the phone randomly turn off in hotplug mode. Again, it could be my specific hardware.

Keep up the good work!!

OP
EmericanX

EmericanX

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Thanks man! Awesome feedback!!!!

With the dictionary issue I have a resolution! It will be in the next update along with the Gapps. The update which i hope to have out soon is relying on me figuring out how to merge 4.0.4! Lol. Ive been pretty busy lately but actually intend to see what i can get done tonight.

Thanks again man.... much appreciated!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mmead1143

Reaction score
You got it brother!! Keep up the great work.

Having the rom another day I'll add this comment on the battery: the big difference, imo, on battery life with this rom is the "idle" time. I have Setcpu running but have had that run with exact same profile-setup on other roms...so everything has stayed constant. I am using the stock kernel so no changes there either. I'm not sure why but the idle time is the best of all the roms I've used on the Gen Nex. In addition: my Quadrant Scores are about 20% lower than other roms (Gummy, Bugless etc) BUT my battery life is about 15% better. I cannot tell any difference in performance from my use. So this is great!! There may be a statistical difference but I cannot tell in the apps I run. Figured I'd pass this along.

Cya