Silly texting question??

BoogetyBoo

Reaction score
Whenever I try to send a text containing a special character such as é or Ñ, etc. I get an "message not sent" error. What do I need to do? Thanks!

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Are you in service when you send these messages? Because I've never used these characters, so I wouldn't know...but I would think they would send since they are on the standard keyboard I think? Aren't they?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Most likely, the person you're sending them to doesn't have a phone that can process them and/or the network can't process the information to send those special characters to another phone.

I used the Degree symbol to send someone a random smiley, and it turned out weird on their end.

You have access to those keys, because it's a full keyboard. I used the degree symbol on my status for Facebook through my Droid, and it showed up on the computer as the degree symbol.

[That's as far as I know. Anyone else, please feel free to correct me.]

nerdbox08

Reaction score
The standard keyboard consists of 128 characters and while you can use your keyboard to simulate the special characters they fall outside of the standard 128. Droid handles them because it's a full fledge operating system where as standard cell phones, I'm assuming, don't have that extra capability built in.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
I would agree, except the OP is not saying that it comes out garbled on the receivers phone, he gets a not sent error. I can't see inserting a special char causing that, at the very least it would go and not be displayed correctly...

nerdbox08

Reaction score
I would agree, except the OP is not saying that it comes out garbled on the receivers phone, he gets a not sent error. I can't see inserting a special char causing that, at the very least it would go and not be displayed correctly...

Good point.

I am curious why only the special symbols on their phone would cause this error.

Doesn't make much sense. For there to be the type of limitation I mentioned he would have to be attempting to text a lan line or something wonky.

OP
B

BoogetyBoo

Reaction score
re: Silly Texting Question???

Thanks for all the feedback. I am in service when trying to text and I do not have problems texting except for when special characters are used. The phones I am trying to text are both Droids as well so I don't think that's it. Normal symbols, i.e.$, @, and punctuations, work fine. What to do...what to do...