Silly phone icon and Bettercut question

OldguyMark

Reaction score
Stock 2.1 phone (non-rooted.)
Helix 1 with 6 home screens.
Bettercut with eGlass icons pack.

Question: When I try to change the stock blue icon to the direct phone dial pad, Bettercut will do it, but when I press it, I get the message application not installed.

I like that short cut because everything else you need is right at the top, contacts etc.

So I decided to suck it up and create a icon for contacts … that wouldn’t work either, same error message …. But everything else works, text, browser etc.

Anyone know what’s up with that?

Also, I thought Bettercut would let you change the icon on a folder, but I can’t seem to find any way to do it.

I did get Apps Organizer, but it won’t let me put a browser short cut into it like the stock one will ….

Dang dumb phones :):)

REMilk

Reaction score
Stock 2.1 phone (non-rooted.)
Helix 1 with 6 home screens.
Bettercut with eGlass icons pack.

I did get Apps Organizer, but it won’t let me put a browser short cut into it like the stock one will ….

Dang dumb phones :):)

Folder Organizer will let you put browser short cuts in the folders. It is by the same developer as Apps Organizer.

Bob

OP
O

OldguyMark

Reaction score
Lol - 56 views and only one comment -

So if anyone is interested, I finally got this to work. I purchased 'Folder Organizer,' and after a bit of fiddling to learn how to work it ... I made a folder called phone using the eGlass icon.
In the folder I put the stock phone dialer pad, again using the eGlass phone icon.
I drug it down to the Helix tray, somehow :) thanks to the Droid Gods, someone, probably Helix, stripped off the folder and just left the phone icon so when I touch it, I go directly to the phone dial pad ... Cool dancedroid

Both 'Folder Organizer' and 'Bettercut' are pretty cool apps ....
Now I'm looking for an icon set that looks like, or similar to the ones that BW uses for their control widget ... (?)

I lov'd that 400 page thread about what you y'all have done with your home screens, though most of you are rooted, it is still fun playing stock screens - I'll get to rooting when I've learned more.

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Lol - 56 views and only one comment -

So if anyone is interested, I finally got this to work. I purchased 'Folder Organizer,' and after a bit of fiddling to learn how to work it ... I made a folder called phone using the eGlass icon.
In the folder I put the stock phone dialer pad, again using the eGlass phone icon.
I drug it down to the Helix tray, somehow :) thanks to the Droid Gods, someone, probably Helix, stripped off the folder and just left the phone icon so when I touch it, I go directly to the phone dial pad ... Cool dancedroid

Both 'Folder Organizer' and 'Bettercut' are pretty cool apps ....
Now I'm looking for an icon set that looks like, or similar to the ones that BW uses for their control widget ... (?)

I lov'd that 400 page thread about what you y'all have done with your home screens, though most of you are rooted, it is still fun playing stock screens - I'll get to rooting when I've learned more.

The one they provide has the icon for each app inside the zip, which you can use bettercut to apply.

Though I haven't seen an icon pack for market apps.

steve13

Reaction score
I was actually having the same problem with bettercut and the phone/contact icons. I had a new icon for my phone for a long time and it was working perfectly, then one day out of the blue it started giving me the application not installed message. I tried to reinstall the icon, tried different icons, and no luck. So I just did a restored from a backup from my backup pro from a long time previously and it works now. I don't know what the problem was, but it's working now.

OP
O

OldguyMark

Reaction score
The one they provide has the icon for each app inside the zip, which you can use bettercut to apply.

Though I haven't seen an icon pack for market apps.

Thanks Tank - I'm a real newbie to these smart phones (this is my first ever,) so I'm not sure I even understand your zip thing, but I'll get to it ....

What I'll probably do is learn to make my own icons. I'm pretty good with software like 'Photoshop' and the like, I just have to learn how to create the right kind of files etc. - Bettercuts website has a link to some free/donate software to create icons, I'll download that and see what's up ....

Thanks man

OP
O

OldguyMark

Reaction score
I was actually having the same problem with bettercut and the phone/contact icons. I had a new icon for my phone for a long time and it was working perfectly, then one day out of the blue it started giving me the application not installed message. I tried to reinstall the icon, tried different icons, and no luck. So I just did a restored from a backup from my backup pro from a long time previously and it works now. I don't know what the problem was, but it's working now.

Glad to hear that I wasn't the only one.

Like I said in the post above, I'm a real newbie here, so even though I have Astro, I still haven't got around to the back up thing yet .... glad you solved your problem ... guess we both did it in two different ways ... I think I'm learning that there's are 'more-than-one-way-to skin-a-cat' with this system .... :)