signal strength

bh8690

Reaction score
There is something peculiar about that fact that so many complain of poor signal strength, descibed by Verizon as Marginal Signal. We should use this thread to accumulate a listing of individual phones' signal strength and there associated location. Maybe it is an inadequate antenna and not the coverage are. I live less than 1 mile from tower in a geographically uninteresting area.

90 -dBm 0 asu at best...NY Metro area. (settings/phone info)

BostonBill

Reaction score
I am in Weymouth Ma about 10 miles south of Boston.

My phone says
-91 dbm 0 asu

no idea what the numbers mean though.

At the moment I have 1 bar.

Vladimir

Reaction score
couple of things that are odd about signal bars... if you notice you can show no bars or no signal, but still able to make a phone call :) second make sure to update your PRL by dialing *228 fixes a lot of signal issues most of the time!

BostonBill

Reaction score
"update your PRL by dialing *228"
I did that but no noticeable improvement.
I am flying out to the west coast from Boston at the end of the week. Do you think it is a good idea to update your PRL by dialing *228 routinely or just if you have signal strength issues?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
what are those dBm numbers?

I have a -67dBm at home. That a good or bad thing?

My calls are nice and clear, much better than my AT&T that i finally got out of, I'm just curious what the numbers mean.

mikeinctown

Reaction score
-96db 0ASU Richfield, Ohio where Verizon's map shows 3g coverage.

I am showing 0 bars where my V750 sitting in my other hand is showing at least 2 bars. What good is a smart phone with no network capability?

Just dialed *228 and now am showing 3g coverage and 2-3 bars signal strength. Am now also able to get my e-mails, chat, and Pandora music.

Last edited:

wi.st.rod

Reaction score
Only had the Droid X for 6 days, and thinking I may not have it in another 6! At home, the "best" location in my house delivers -91dBm 0 asu. Most locations, and where I would typically be using the phone, deliver -102 dBm and 0 asu. I've been dropping calls like crazy. Prior to getting this phone, I used Verizon service with a Motorola Razr, and in four years I never dropped calls and seemed to have a great signal. Any ideas why my signal strength is so bad? It has to be the phone?, right?