Signal Strength... Battery Life... Web page loading speeds.

OP
J

jaydub5

Reaction score
So... it seems like signal strength IS VERY IMPORTANT with respect to battery life. I never get more than 3 bars, usually just show 2!
Wonder if any techie has created a graph that shows the relationship between signal strength and battery life? It would be very interesting indeed.
I use my phone as a computer... Hardly ever use desktop.
Thanks

turbodave

Reaction score
As an ex (retired) Qualcomm and Verizon "techie", I can tell you that signal strength has a GREAT DEAL to do with battery life. CDMA phones are always in closed loop power control, and always know their exact distance from the cell towers that they interact with, and using this information, they set their power output accordingly. IOW, the further from the tower, the more power the phone's radio has to produce to ensure a good signal always reaches the tower.
And even though your phone may be sitting idle, seemingly doing nothing, the phone and cell system are always in communication with each other for many reasons, all cell related. That's why, even if you have everything else turned off or blocked, the battery will still drain rapidly just sitting around. It becomes even worse in low signal areas (2 bars or less).
And of course it goes without saying that actaully using the phone in low signal areas will eat your battery alive.

OP
J

jaydub5

Reaction score
Thanks again Turbo Man. This explained everything except... Why did I get MUCH better battery life a few weeks ago, in the same area, same apps, same usage?
Should I do another FDR? Does one wipe cache before or after the FDR, or is this moot?
I have disabled much of the junk. However, I have seen where MAPS, POWERAMP, SYNC SERVICES, ETC., keep turning on AFTER I had forces closed then.
Does Airplane Mode shut the phone radio down?

helron

Reaction score
This is awful. What has JB changed to cause his? No cloud services on phone.

Droid Razr via Tapatalk

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1363641722.671427.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1363641722.671427.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 222

helron

Reaction score
More info:
Less apps installed using JB!
Only sync mail-manually.
Today, Switched to CMDA to lessen tower searches.
Using WIFI only, because I am home all day.
4G KILLS battery.
SmartActions set to shut all at night.
UGH!
Don't want FDR again. Not Rooted and reinstalling apps/accts is a pain.

Droid Razr via Tapatalk