Solved Shuts down suddenly...

navyseal

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia S
Hello to the community, i am a user of sony xperia S and for about a month i have been facing the problem i mentioned in the title...

Sometimes, it says me it will shut down due to high temperature (something that is not true,it's cold!!!!) and sometimes it shuts down unexpectedly without any notification... 9/10 times shuts down when it's cold while there arent many apps running in the background..

I've just reseted to its factory data and updated+ repaired it via sony pc companion and still nothing. When i opened the phone after the update/repair and entered the pin, it took 3 secs(!!!!!) to shut down....

Can anyone help me solve it? Maybe the battery should be replaced with a new one??? or what???

PS. I bought the phone before 2,5 years

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Welcome to the forum! If the battery is replaceable in that device, it's worth a try. Personally it sounds like you may have a rouge app or a wakelock issue. Try downloading GSAM Battery from the play Store. Let it run for a full day while using your device as you normally do. This will tell you if you have a rouge app causing the problem, or a wake lock issue. Short of uninstalling all of your apps and re downloading them one by one, this would be the quickest and easiest solution. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Last edited:

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'm also wondering if maybe it's not an issue with the phone thinking it's hot when it's not. If it tells you it's shutting down due to high temperature and you can't physically feel that it's hot, there could be a problem with the sensor(s) in the phone itself. Since there's no easy fix for that, I'd definitely start with @cr6's advice.

OP
N

navyseal

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia S
thank you guys for the immediate response!

@cr6 i dont think it's about heavy apps. After the factory reset, there are not many apps installed in the phone. So, the few apps which has cant overheat the phone. First attempt to install GSAM battery and shutted down. Second attempt and installed correctly. Temperature via GSAM is about 37oC while i'm just updating installed apps and about 32-33oC while WIFI is on and phone is in battery charge.
For about 25 mins still havent seen any shut down while it's in battery charge. The only thing i consider about the battery replacement is that i may spend some money for nothing + some of my time as the battery cant be removed with the traditional way (first you have to remove some screws!)

@Jonny Kansas i hope you to be wrong!! If there is a problem with sensor that means that i won't have my phone for many days + it will be highly costed... So i hope it's battery issue.
But can sensors be damaged after downfalls of the phone as it wears silicon case???

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
With today's expensive yet crappy solder...its very possible that the phone may have gotten hot and a chip is unset due to the paste or lead free solder running. That would be something for a repair shop to look at or Sony themselves... That's all I have to add to this..

OP
N

navyseal

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia S
I agree that a service may solve the overheat but actually there is not any overheat when i dont play a game.. it's in a cold state and this confuses me....

I noticed that when it's in battery charge, no matter which is the temperature, doesn't shut down! For example... more than 20min now i am updating apps and it has 47oC (via GSAM) without any problem.... Does this enhance the possibility to have battery issue? I am really confused and nervous...

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
You can try the battery...because it does have a heat safety built in..but so does the processor...so if the battery has the faulty one..you're good..if its the processor flipping out..not so good...

Last edited:

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Yeah, sounds more and more like it's a faulty battery.

OP
N

navyseal

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia S
i hope so... i will order a new one and next week i will inform you about the results. Let's see!

OP
N

navyseal

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia S
Hello guys and sorry for the delay... i replaced my old battery with a new original one and the problem solved! There isnt any problem after 4 days.

Thank you for the advices!

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Thank you for the follow up. I have marked this thread as "Solved".