Share your opinion on the HTC One A9

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Across the web, folks are calling the new HTC One A9 a "copy" of the iPhone. Do you think it is? Do you like HTC's latest smartphone?

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
Anything can technically be a 'copy' of anything. Of course, bloggers and uberfans are going to flock to the headlines. They do look similar but Myriam on All About Android said it best (and I'll be paraphrasing) devices can look the same but how that perform and what they do set them apart.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Considering HTC started this whole aluminum phone movement, they're not the copycat here (maybe they didn't start it, but they made it big and put other manufacturers on notice). Once again the media played a part in giving Apple credit and forgetting that HTC was first to start the movement. Unfortunately, now they're being labeled the copycat.

It is a copycat field though. I mean look at Samsung adopting glass front and back, iphone 4s anyone? The iPhone 6 copied the design of the One M7 (I think that was the first One with aluminum body). And now it comes back full circle with HTC releasing this A9. No one really wants to differentiate themselves except for Moto, LG, and Sony, just to name the big players in the game.

My opinion, I bet it'll be a great phone with alot of bad publicity because, uh oh, it looks like an iPhone. It won't get a fair shake in the field I think and HTC really doesn't need that because they're already starting to sink. It's not a "miscue" by any means, it's the shape and design of the phone many people want, but the problem is they just blend in now with the likes of Apple.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Considering HTC started this whole aluminum phone movement, they're not the copycat here (maybe they didn't start it, but they made it big and put other manufacturers on notice). Once again the media played a part in giving Apple credit and forgetting that HTC was first to start the movement. Unfortunately, now they're being labeled the copycat.

It is a copycat field though. I mean look at Samsung adopting glass front and back, iphone 4s anyone? The iPhone 6 copied the design of the One M7 (I think that was the first One with aluminum body). And now it comes back full circle with HTC releasing this A9. No one really wants to differentiate themselves except for Moto, LG, and Sony, just to name the big players in the game.

My opinion, I bet it'll be a great phone with alot of bad publicity because, uh oh, it looks like an iPhone. It won't get a fair shake in the field I think and HTC really doesn't need that because they're already starting to sink. It's not a "miscue" by any means, it's the shape and design of the phone many people want, but the problem is they just blend in now with the likes of Apple.

I dont know about great, in fact the only reason this phone is getting this much run among android enthusiasts with that 617 processor and small battery is because of its resemblance to the iphone.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
It certainly is a look alike. But who really cares. If it has the features/technology we all want, that's all that matters.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I said this in the thread where we saw the leaked renders of this phone. There's only so much innovation and differentiation you can do when designing a rectangle.

Look at the Nexus 6P. The camera hump is polarizing. Most people have an opinion on it. Some just absolutely don't like the looks of it at all, even without ever getting it in hand, even with reviewers all stating that it's not nearly as big of a deal as the initial renders made it seem. Others, like myself, either like it or don't mind it. Personally, I've already stated that it reminds me of my old DX and kinda makes the phone look like a robot from Wall-E or something, which I think is neat and unique.

Point being, even that bar at the top of the 6P has been claimed to have been copied from Xaomi (or some other Chinese manufacture. Can't remember).

There's really only so much that can be done with these devices.

I've said for years now that manufacturers need to focus more on innovating than finger pointing. Remember in the last 5 years how many times different OEMs sued other OEMs for having similar features/etc? Get over yourself and do something amazing that they can't copy.

I'm not saying that Apple started this uproar, but like others have said, the media likes to trend toward thinking that Apple was the first to do anything. That DX that I mentioned earlier had Panorama Assist on the camera app years before the first iPhone to offer the feature, but when the commercials came out for that iPhone, it was revolutionary.

Regardless of looks, this seems like a nice little device and I'll be keeping an eye on the reviews and the update speed for my wife. She wants a small phone, but doesn't want to sacrifice performance. I want her on something that's going to get regular updates and be as secure as possible, especially as I move back into the Nexus world personally.

It's a small, thin, sleek device and it runs Android. If it performs well and she can still put her sd card in it, she's not gonna care what it looks like. She tosses her phones in a case right away anyway.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I dont know about great, in fact the only reason this phone is getting this much run among android enthusiasts with that 617 processor and small battery is because of its resemblance to the iphone.
Most likely, and I agree, which is why I mentioned it won't get a fair shake in the game.

The way I see it, I kinda think it's HTC's "moto x". An "underpowered" phone that just works.

MossyOneHTCA9

Reaction score
I love my a9 and battery life is great no complaints about this baby at all love it

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk