Severe battery problems after 2.2 update--new battery did not fix

mnw

Reaction score
I've had a Droid since December with no problems at all. Good battery life, only charged overnight and would last all day and evening. Since the 2.2 update, it immediately would die within a couple of hours. The Verizon tech help over the phone had me install task killer and noticed that it randomly opens apps and continues constantly to reopen and run them in the background after I kill them. They sent me a replacement phone. I received it and the replacement does the exact same thing. A phone that you can't use for more than 3 hours if not plugged in is worthless. I called again and was told that shouldn't happen on either phone (obviously) and transferred me to Motorola. Motorola had no idea what was wrong and told me to go into a Verizon store. I went to a Verizon store and they told me the only thing they could do was send me ANOTHER refurbished replacement phone or a new battery, as that was most likely the issue. (which is clearly is not) I argued, they insisted. They gave me a new battery. That was 2 1/2 hours ago and my phone is dead again, with the brand new battery.

Does anyone know of this happening on the original Droid after the 2.2 update, or what can be done about it???

Reaction score
Delete your taskkiller first of all, it's not needed.

My battery life has been less but not drastically less. Check the settings on all you widgets. Be sure your GPS isn't staying on for any reason.

OP
M

mnw

Reaction score
my GPS isn't staying on. it says display is using 75% of my battery, but i've got it on the dimmest setting.

keiichi25

Reaction score
my GPS isn't staying on. it says display is using 75% of my battery, but i've got it on the dimmest setting.

When are you checking the battery usage. If you are doing it at the beginning of a charge use, that's useless, as it will state your display will be using most of the battery initially.

Also, list off your apps, what do you have running and what other options you have turned on... Just stating it says the display, as mentioned above, doesn't help. I have a Droid 1 with the 2.2 Update running and I run longer than 3 hours on the original stock battery.

Nibbz

Reaction score
shoot your droid in the eye. that'll fix it

mountaineerndixie

Reaction score
I don't like installing apps to fix something that shouldn't be an issue in the first place but after having the same issue for weeks I finally came across Juice Defender.

I know many who do not like it but I do not use it to the extreme. I use the Easy button for nothing more than turning off wifi and data whenever my screen is off, which I set the timer at 2 minutes. Second, there is a 1x1 widget to turn off 3G data. I have it off most of the time and use wifi whenever possible.

I am at 3935 mv on my extended battery after 12 hours, approx. 3 of those being heavy twitter, Tapatalk and internet. 4200 is pretty much 100% and 3500 is pretty much 0%. Normally, I would be at about 3600 mv right now without JD and the data widget. I'm not getting the 24-36 hours that some are with the extended battery. That would just be great.

Coming from an Eris, I am freakin' sick of dealing with battery issues. Hopefully this will be a fix for now.

gmorgan056

Reaction score
I've had a Droid since December with no problems at all. Good battery life, only charged overnight and would last all day and evening. Since the 2.2 update, it immediately would die within a couple of hours. The Verizon tech help over the phone had me install task killer and noticed that it randomly opens apps and continues constantly to reopen and run them in the background after I kill them. They sent me a replacement phone. I received it and the replacement does the exact same thing. A phone that you can't use for more than 3 hours if not plugged in is worthless. I called again and was told that shouldn't happen on either phone (obviously) and transferred me to Motorola. Motorola had no idea what was wrong and told me to go into a Verizon store. I went to a Verizon store and they told me the only thing they could do was send me ANOTHER refurbished replacement phone or a new battery, as that was most likely the issue. (which is clearly is not) I argued, they insisted. They gave me a new battery. That was 2 1/2 hours ago and my phone is dead again, with the brand new battery.

Does anyone know of this happening on the original Droid after the 2.2 update, or what can be done about it???

I'm having the same problem, fully charged it last night and it's dead at 4 in the afternoon. My display was at 50% and no apps running. And this is a refurbished phone. My original was disabled with the new update.:icon_evil:

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
shoot your droid in the eye. that'll fix it

Or threaten to, at least. Of course, never make a threat unless you're willing to carry it out. ;)

I had the same problem, but I followed a suggestion made by another member. That is to let the battery run completely down until the Droid shuts off, then recharge it completely. It worked for me.

adventuretog

Reaction score
same problem here

I went from getting 16 hours out of a charge to less than 7 after the 2.2 upgrade. I will go get one of the extended life batteries but if what everyone else is saying is true that will only help a little. Sounds like an error on Motorola's part that they aren't willing to acknowledge because they would end up having to replace all our phones.

TuBitMittens

Reaction score
I would get like 14 hours on 2.1 and beeing rooted on 2.2 I would be lucky to even get 10.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk