Setting up smtp outgoing email

MPJ

Reaction score
I just recently switched from a Blackberry to the LG Ally to the Droid 2. I am having issues setting up my work email on the Droid 2. Right now, I can receive emails (although they are somewhat delayed), but I am not able to send them. For both the Blackberry and the LG Ally, I successfully set up my email by selecting the exact same settings that were specified to set up my email account in Thunderbird on my computer.

The incoming server settings are IMAP, port 993 (ssl), and normal password authentication.
However, the outgoing server settings seem to be the problem. The server name remains the same as incoming settings, and the port is set to 25. The username and password are not specified, and there is no authentication or security required.

These settings seemed to work fine on my LG Ally. However, I am having much difficulty with the Droid 2. I realized that upon exiting the account settings in the Droid 2, the blank username field automatically gets filled with my email username, even though I left it blank. Could this be what's causing the problem?

I have tried a number of various settings (with and without authentication and/or security, etc), none of which have worked. Any suggestions? Any app I could download to help me receive my work email on my phone?

Thanks so much!
Meredith

OP
M

MPJ

Reaction score
Thanks. Just tried port 587, but that didn't work either - "Cannot connect to server. (Unable to open connection to SMTP server.)"

imtheconvict

Reaction score
are you sure its not an exchange server? are the incoming /outgoing address positivity correct?