Setting email for a .edu institution

billy_the_kid

Reaction score
Guys I am having trouble setting up my email address for my school email. I have contacted the IT department at the school and they are having issues getting the Droid to accept the outgoing settings. This is an IMAP setup and we can get the incoming settings to work but when we set up the outgoing, it tells us that it cannot connect. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

sjohn902

Reaction score
A quick question, is the account you're trying to set up serviced through Google (IE when you check it there is a GMail interface) or is it just an email account you want to be able to check on the phone's email app? If it's a GMail account I might be able to help since I had to go through the same process to get my .edu account to sync with my Droid.

OP
B

billy_the_kid

Reaction score
I am not quite sure if its a google interface or not. It is a school email account through their server. I have set other accounts such as live.com, yahoo, and my work email(which is a web based godaddy account up to receive on the phone but just cannot get the university account to connect to the outgoing settings that I have been given. What did you do to get yours to work...I will try it.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Is the outgoing server an SMTP server? Do they allow connections to their SMTP server from outside their network? Many organizations do not unless they support authentication on the SMTP server.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sadly, I think your IT folks are dropping the ball on you. I just retired from Penn State and my IMAP account worked just fine. If you are able to receive and send email from this account with your computer I suggest checking the settings and duplicate on your Droid. Additionally, I suggest downloading K9 and try that app.

Mike

brando56894

Reaction score
I got to Rutgers University and we have the same problem here, Im a student worker in the computer labs and none of my friends or co-workers can get our IMAP email accounts working either, I've even talked to the guys over in operations about it. My solution was just to forward my account to gmail.

nateccnn

Reaction score
It works. Keep trying.

The IT department is the only ones who can tell you if they allow it and how to connect it. Posting your question here with absolutley no info on settings is going to net you a bunch of silly responses at best. We don't know how your school's IT department set up the email servers or the firewall. They may have set any number of ports to listen for mail requests..we don't know. They may use SMTP, IMAP or Exchange Server...We don't know.

The fact that it is an edu domain is completly irrelavent. I maintain an edu domain for my college and I can tell you it is absolutely irrelavent. Stay focused on the mail server settings and how to connect to it. Secure connections...SSL...ports...

Nate

khelek

Reaction score
I work at a University and my .edu work address worked just fine in both the stock mail program and k-9.

This is both with Sunmail and Exchange IMAP servers.

Hopefully your IT department can you get it working....

Stigy

Reaction score
Do you have a link to the school's website where they explain how to setup email in Outlook?

If so it should be EXACTLY the same as on your DROID.

OP
B

billy_the_kid

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay in getting back...Thanks for all the input on this. I do think this is a security setting the school has set because we cannot use Outlook to set our school emails up either. I have been in contact with the IT Dept and they are looking into this because they have many students with the Droids and are being pressured to get something fixed.

Signum

Reaction score
i have my .edu setup on my phone, IMAP as well

my incoming mail server is mail.csusb.edu port 143 security type none (enter your respective email address/mail server and username/password)

outgoing mail server requires login (enter username/pw) smtp server mail.csusb.edu (enter same mail server from incoming settings) security type none server port 597

works like a charm for me, it might for you