Setting Default Contact Type to Google and Copying Phone Contacts to Gmail

raz30

Reaction score
I had been trying to look for ways to change the default contact type to Google when I saved a new contact and also how to transfer phone contacts to Gmail/Google and I finally found ways to do both.

Thought I would post the information here as I did not see the solution posted. If this has been posted then my apologies and please close the thread.

Setting Default Contact Type to Google
- Go to "People"
- Click on "Phonebook" at the top so that the dropdown opens and shows you what it populating the contacts in your phone.
- Uncheck everything but Google. (That means un-check Sim Card, Phone, Facebook, and even Google+)

Now, if you click on the + icon to add a new contact the default contact type should be Google.

Moving phone contacts to Gmail/Google Account
- Go to "People"
- Click on "Phonebook" at the top so that the dropdown opens and shows you what it populating the contacts in your phone.
- Uncheck everything but phone (or whatever group you need to move your contacts from, this also works with SIM Card contacts)
- Click on settings
- Click on "Import/Export contacts"
- Click on "Share visible contacts" (This will select all the contacts from the list you have selected)
- Click on Gmail when the "Complete action using" pops up
- Email the .vcf file to your gmail
- Open the email and click on "Import to Contacts" for the .vcf file attachment
- Follow the import contacts instructions that gmail pops up with
- Change your phone Phonebook back to whatever setting you want

Now the contacts will be in your Google account and will sync with your phone. If you want you can go back and delete the contacts saved on your phone but you can just unselect the phone contacts from your phonebook so that you don't have to see them anymore.

Hope this works for others as it did work on my Rezound.

acejavelin

Reaction score
An alternate way to move contacts from Phone to Google is to back them up to Verizon Backup, then go to the Verizon My Backup Website and export the list as a CSV file and go to GMail, and select Contacts and you can import the CSV file there. The advantage to this method is after you have exported the CSV file, you can delete the phone contacts on the VZW website and then sync to the phone.