SetCPU - Where's the CPU temp??

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yep. I've seen the failsafe warning come out a couple of times. That was before 2.2 though when the "performance" was the governor it automatically set for some reason. I use ondemand now though. Haven't had a failsafe warning with this governor yet. Maybe if I'm outdoors in the heat, but haven't yet.

Using the phone in the car as a gps I did discover the battery going lower and lower. The phone wasn't charging. I forget the temp now, I think it was 120F, but the phone doesn't charge above a certain temp. It probably knows that charging will add even more heat to the mix. I took it off the car mount and held it in front of the AC until it cooled down below 100F. I left it in the center console for the rest of that trip, out of the sun.

Wow. Actually, when I had my iPhone the GPS would make the phone hot as hell. Ever since then I've always had a habit of using the GPS, but only opening the app when I feel like I need to look at it again, just to avoid that heating issue too. I remember leaving the GPS run a whole trip and the phone was just too hot to pick up

The dash is black, the phone is black, the sun was shining, it was hot outside. AC was on vents, not on defrost. Even trying defrost didn't help as the air headed up the windshield and missed where the phone was mounted.

OP
A

altjx

Reaction score
That sucks. I'm glad that with all the overclocking, that I haven't had anything melt and ruin hardware. If that happened, I'd probably be heading for the EVO. this ETF is the only thing holding me back

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
That sucks. I'm glad that with all the overclocking, that I haven't had anything melt and ruin hardware. If that happened, I'd probably be heading for the EVO. this ETF is the only thing holding me back

It wasn't a big deal. I noticed the battery was getting low during a 2 hr ride. Then I realized it wasn't charging. I thought the car charger wasn't working. I switched off of GPS to see if my battery widget (batteryLife) was displaying the icon saying the charger was plugged in and it was, but no charging icon on the battery widget nor the notification pull down bar. Then I noticed the temp. That's the only time it ever got that hot. I won't be leaving it in the sun in the car mount again. I don't need to "see" the map for turn by turn directions to work and can always glance down. Having it at dash level is preferred, but meltdowns are not:)

OP
A

altjx

Reaction score
Interesting. I thought of getting some accessories for it but I'm usually changing phones a lot. Might get a dock for it soon :p

hemorrdroid

Reaction score
Not sure if that OMAP3 sensor is directly on the CPU, but its heat scales up and down as quickly as the CPU should, it is directly related to the CPU temp if it is not the temp itself. When i set failsafe @ 55c it would scale down my CPU when the OMAP3 temp reached my setting, it wasnt the battery, my battery never gets near that temp. But yeah, that OMAP sensor rises quickly under load and drops quickly afterward, just like a processor would on a PC, that is what we need to watch, not batt temp, not saying you should disregard battery alltogether.

OP
A

altjx

Reaction score
Not sure if that OMAP3 sensor is directly on the CPU, but its heat scales up and down as quickly as the CPU should, it is directly related to the CPU temp if it is not the temp itself. When i set failsafe @ 55c it would scale down my CPU when the OMAP3 temp reached my setting, it wasnt the battery, my battery never gets near that temp. But yeah, that OMAP sensor rises quickly under load and drops quickly afterward, just like a processor would on a PC, that is what we need to watch, not batt temp, not saying you should disregard battery alltogether.

Exactly. That's exactly why I confused OMAP3 temperature with the CPU temperature. It acts just like one.

tiggerxplur

Reaction score
i got my phone down to 7 degrees celcius a few days ago went for a walk to meet my girlfriend it was about 103 f outside (live in arizona) so i put my phone on the ac floor vent when i got back cause my phone was hot went back like 10 minutes later and it was almost freezing haha didnt realize my ac was that good

SlickMcVega

Reaction score
my omap3 sensor(cpu) reaches failsafe(51 degrees celcius) after about only 5 minutes in the navigate app. chevy's lv1.0ghz. that seems like the only thing that causes my failsafe to kick in. which kindda sux because i travel 5 days a week with this job. anyone else overheat that quick using navigator?

OP
A

altjx

Reaction score
my omap3 sensor(cpu) reaches failsafe(51 degrees celcius) after about only 5 minutes in the navigate app. chevy's lv1.0ghz. that seems like the only thing that causes my failsafe to kick in. which kindda sux because i travel 5 days a week with this job. anyone else overheat that quick using navigator?

Nope. only time I've experienced overheating is like constantly using the phone and switching apps and things really fast (also with the temperature being hot already in the area.

SlickMcVega

Reaction score

"definition, while factual, is subjective when it comes to the Motorola Droid. The reason is simple. The stock Droid is clocked at 550Mhz. The OMAP3430 (The processor of the Droid) is built by the manufacturer to be clocked at 600Mhz" ---- http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-faqs/47871-overclocking-101-a.html

OP
A

altjx

Reaction score

"definition, while factual, is subjective when it comes to the Motorola Droid. The reason is simple. The stock Droid is clocked at 550Mhz. The OMAP3430 (The processor of the Droid) is built by the manufacturer to be clocked at 600Mhz" ---- http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-faqs/47871-overclocking-101-a.html

Interesting. So I'm guessing the OMAP3 was the processor's temperature. Damn. Wonder where it went. Guess cause it's Froyo, not sure.

luvdldy

Reaction score
I am running ONIX 1.2.5 and I actually can see my CPU temp logged. The only problem is I switched to Kangerade and it was no longer there, so I did a backup/restore and still have it!

Someone needs to find out what Onix Concepts did to get it working!!!

missrachel

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm a bit of a n00b when it comes to this stuff but I have a basic question...

I'm running LithiumMod overclocked to 800mhz. I have the SetCPU widget on my home screen to monitor my temperature, but I'm confused about WHICH temps I'm monitoring, which are most important, etc.

I open up SetCPU and am looking at the info. There are 2 temps. Battery Temp, and OMAP3 Temp Sensor. My home screen widget displays battery temperature. Why does the widget default to display battery temp? From what I've gathered, it seems that the temperature of the processor is more important...

Also, what is a safe temperature range? I've heard different things. My battery is currently at 30*C (86*F) and my OMAP3 is at 45*C, 113*F <-- which seems high!!! I'm not sure why... I did a Nandroid backup an hour or so ago but haven't been using my Droid heavily... I am using profiles as well but now I'm not even sure what temp they are going off of, so altogether I'm pretty confused. HALP!!!