SetCPU bug?

bpyazel

Reaction score
I've been toying around with roms for a few weeks and just recently noticed this. When using setCPU to overclock and having the phone charging via an AC outlet, the phone never reaches the min speed and never goes below 500mhz. This does not happen when charging via USB (tested it on two computers and my car USB with three different cables, and yes I verified it was charging on all three). SetCPU is on auto-refresh.

I always run all profiles with a min setting of 250mhz (main screen too). Now the green numbers say the correct values, but the white number will never drop to the min setting, or even below 500mhz. I can change the main screen to 250/250 and it still stays at 500mhz while charging via AC. I can change charging profile to 250/250 and it still stays at 500mhz also. Unplug the charger and it will drop to 250mhz with no problem. Plug it in and it goes right back up to 500mhz.

Someone mentioned that SetCPU does not refresh automatically when plugging in while it is running on the screen and maybe that was it. I verified this was untrue, because on a setting of 250/600 I drag the notification bar to cause it to ramp up to 600mhz and then back down to 500mhz and I can see it. Even so, I went ahead and closed out SetCPU, plugged the charger in and opened up SetCPU after. Still at 500mhz.

I also ran SeeCPU while in SetCPU to see if maybe something was running the cpu up while charging. It runs around 5% - 10% cpu load while doing nothing, yet still at 500mhz.

So, I did more testing. I tested both Cyanogen 5.0.6.2 and Smoked Glass 6.0.1 roms and multiple kernels. I wiped BOOT, SYSTEM, CACHE and DATA before each install. They ALL did it. The only difference was that the minimum speed changed depending on the kernel. The faster the kernel, the faster the minimum speed. One would not go below 700mhz when plugged in to AC.

I have to assume this is a SetCPU thing. Is this supposed to happen? I would think the phone would charge faster if it didn't. Is it intended or a bug? Can anyone else out there check their phone when plugged in to AC (NOT USB) and check what their white number says?

Thanks

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hmm, odd. I had never noticed this before.

Try posting it as a bug in the official thread here over at xda. Maybe the dev can help you out, or get it fixed.

samiusmc

Reaction score
I've been toying around with roms for a few weeks and just recently noticed this. When using setCPU to overclock and having the phone charging via an AC outlet, the phone never reaches the min speed and never goes below 500mhz. This does not happen when charging via USB (tested it on two computers and my car USB with three different cables, and yes I verified it was charging on all three). SetCPU is on auto-refresh.

I always run all profiles with a min setting of 250mhz (main screen too). Now the green numbers say the correct values, but the white number will never drop to the min setting, or even below 500mhz. I can change the main screen to 250/250 and it still stays at 500mhz while charging via AC. I can change charging profile to 250/250 and it still stays at 500mhz also. Unplug the charger and it will drop to 250mhz with no problem. Plug it in and it goes right back up to 500mhz.

Someone mentioned that SetCPU does not refresh automatically when plugging in while it is running on the screen and maybe that was it. I verified this was untrue, because on a setting of 250/600 I drag the notification bar to cause it to ramp up to 600mhz and then back down to 500mhz and I can see it. Even so, I went ahead and closed out SetCPU, plugged the charger in and opened up SetCPU after. Still at 500mhz.

I also ran SeeCPU while in SetCPU to see if maybe something was running the cpu up while charging. It runs around 5% - 10% cpu load while doing nothing, yet still at 500mhz.

So, I did more testing. I tested both Cyanogen 5.0.6.2 and Smoked Glass 6.0.1 roms and multiple kernels. I wiped BOOT, SYSTEM, CACHE and DATA before each install. They ALL did it. The only difference was that the minimum speed changed depending on the kernel. The faster the kernel, the faster the minimum speed. One would not go below 700mhz when plugged in to AC.

I have to assume this is a SetCPU thing. Is this supposed to happen? I would think the phone would charge faster if it didn't. Is it intended or a bug? Can anyone else out there check their phone when plugged in to AC (NOT USB) and check what their white number says?

Thanks

You're right, I just noticed that. What speed are you overclocking at? I'm at 800 MHz but what I've just noticed is that when charging with the AC adapter, it locks in at 800 MHz regardless of what I set it to.

JCo352

Reaction score
Yep, I just checked, and everytime I plug it in, it goes to 550MHz, even though I have it set to 250min 250max.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
This is probably not a setcpu bug, more likely the phone runs at 550 when plugged in and charging. I'm gonna charge mine up and see if it will drop below 550 once fully charged.

JCo352

Reaction score
This is probably not a setcpu bug, more likely the phone runs at 550 when plugged in and charging. I'm gonna charge mine up and see if it will drop below 550 once fully charged.

I was thinking that too, but why would Setcpu make a charging profile, if it doesn't do anything?

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79

I was thinking that too, but why would Setcpu make a charging profile, if it doesn't do anything?

If it will drop down once fully charged then it makes sense. The battery gets pretty hot sitting on the charger. I sometimes leave mine on the charger and use it at work. I never noticed it it dropped to 250, but will check tonight.

samiusmc

Reaction score

I don't think that's it. Mines is fully charged and still doing it. Maybe it's the ROM or kernel. I'm using Cyanogen 5.0.6.2 with Bekit SV 5x1200

JCo352

Reaction score

If it will drop down once fully charged then it makes sense. The battery gets pretty hot sitting on the charger. I sometimes leave mine on the charger and use it at work. I never noticed it it dropped to 250, but will check tonight.

Well since I read this thread, I put mine on the charger, so I will be able to tell ya in about 10 minutes.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
ok...mines charging as well but be a little longer. Let us know.

JCo352

Reaction score
Well just got done charging, and it stayed at 550MHz.

JCo352

Reaction score
Well I just found out that if you charge it via USB port, it follows the charging profile, it only ignores the profile when you charge it with the wall charger.

Se7enLC

Reaction score
This isn't a SetCPU issue - this is something at a much lower level with the Droid. I've noticed it as well, and reading your post made me realize that charging from AC is the trigger.

You can set CPU speeds manually by pushing the values into the scaling_max_frequency and scaling_min_frequency files inside the virtual filesystem /sys. This is effectively what the SetCPU app is doing.

When plugged in, the CPU has a hardware-enforced MINIMUM speed. Not a maximum! No matter what you set your scaling options to be, the Droid will not go below a certain speed, even if you set the maximum speed to be lower than that. That speed seems to be either 500Mhz, or whatever is in frequency slot #3 (which for me happens to always be 500Mhz).

I have no idea why that is - but I suppose there is no harm in running at 500Mhz or more when charging - the only reason I would ever want it to run slower than that is for longer battery life, which is irrelevant when it is plugged into AC.

briangp

Reaction score
This was an issue for me when I first installed, but I think it was a kernel issue because I haven't seen it for about a month now. I have a charging profile set to 800 as to prevent heating and it works fine.

drpaul07

Reaction score
I know this thread is a little old, but has there been some kind of fix yet? My droid gets stuck at 550 when charging through the wall too. Is this a kernel problem, or rom problem? I'm running 2.1 stock rooted with LV chevy kernel. Or is this just a normal thing that occurs?