Serious storage problem

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
Tonight, I was just downloading a PDF file sent to me by the office and get a popup saying I'm low on local storage and I should delete stuff. Well, I have a 64gb card I added and I've been moving apps, photos and music to the external card all night and I'm still getting the low storage thingy. Do I have to go back to Best Buy and get more internal memory?? Here's the storage page. I can't fathom that, after moving so many huge apps to the external card that I can still have only 279mb left. Not after all the apps I moved. Is there a bigger problem here??

storage.jpg

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Have you restarted your phone after you moved the Apps?

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Most of your space is being used by miscellaneous files. Not sure why your graph doesn't show pictures-videos and audio- music separately but I assume that's included as part of misc files. Make sure you move all your pics, videos, music, documents and downloaded files to your ext card. That should free up a lot of space. You can also clear your cache data partition by going into system recovery which will clear up a little more space.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OP
Bluesman2008

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
Have you restarted your phone after you moved the Apps?

Yes. And deleted all the cache files on restart.

Not sure why your graph doesn't show pictures-videos and audio- music separately but I assume that's included as part of misc files. Make sure you move all your pics, videos, music, documents and downloaded files to your ext card.

I moved all the pictures (lots) and audio/music files (lots) but didn't move documents. I'll try that too.

OP
Bluesman2008

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
Dumb question. Where are the documents stored? I looked in the file manager but didn't see any.

Also,if worst comes to worst, I guess I can add more internal memory, no?

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
When we refer to internal memory, we refer to RAM. No you can not add RAM to the S5. You can add a larger SD card but that will not solve your issue. You need to move those files as @TisMyDroid suggested.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Some documents will be stored in the downloads folder, some may be in a documents folder and most pdf files will be in Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Reader folders.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OP
Bluesman2008

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
I have larger card but I'm only using about 10% of the 64gb card I've got now. I found only a few docs in the Adobe folder and nowhere else. Right now, I've cleaned out about every thing I can and I've moved everything to the external card that I can. Right now I've got about 645gb of space. I guess it is what it is.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I would like to see another Storage screen shot..

nonnasmyladie

Reaction score
Website
www.leonhascal.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
Nonnasmyladie
Tonight, I was just downloading a PDF file sent to me by the office and get a popup saying I'm low on local storage and I should delete stuff. Well, I have a 64gb card I added and I've been moving apps, photos and music to the external card all night and I'm still getting the low storage thingy. Do I have to go back to Best Buy and get more internal memory?? Here's the storage page. I can't fathom that, after moving so many huge apps to the external card that I can still have only 279mb left. Not after all the apps I moved. Is there a bigger problem here??

View attachment 75624

I had the same exact issue. In my case I discovered that there was a ton of media being stored as "miscellaneous files." If you store all your media on your SD card then you open up podcasting app/google music/gallery and delete the media then all of a sudden you will see 3gbs open up. The number under "miscellaneous files" will go down but the graph will actually remain the same showing that your device is full.