Separate me from my Palm via Droid 3

Fr33dom

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how the cloud is safer than a home secured network?

I doubt anyone could. But I also know from experience that most home networks are not all that secure either. Still if you're arguing that clouds are inherently less safe, I'd tend to agree. If someone wants my contact list they'll get it without regard to whether I'm on the cloud. Thats been true since before the letter was invented. And more true with every step technology has taken. I don't intend to treat your concern lightly, and I have no idea how you use your contact list or phone--I don't assume certain risks with this or any connected device. I'm just saying that someone wanting that information need only go to verizon and tap into the snooping equipment the Bush administration reportedly had put in place.

jayintoronto

Reaction score
Thank you (and the others) for the upbeat responses It is definately a leap. I'm looking into an app called dejaoffice that seems to be able to be synched to Palm Desktop on the PC with a paid app. If it works, it can use blue tooth or a USB connection. If it doesn't force me to sync every account, it'll be even better. Can anyone tell me how the cloud is safer than a home secured network?

I'm in a similar boat (Palm user since the Pilot Personal!) though not as fussed about the cloud. DejaOfice/Companionlink gives both options, but I have heard mixed reviews. Plus DejaOffice won't hide sensitive info like Palm OS will. Sigh.

Probably will have to say gooodbye to the Palm DT and just kludge together a bunch of droid apps after converting my Palm data. Not perfect but I don't see anything else out there :(

kooshie

Reaction score
I use an app called B-folders I sync it between my phone & my husbands. It will also allow you ti sync it to your computer but that's a paid app. I don't use it for contacts but you can. It stores my I for on my sd card and I use a password. It stores all types of information including contacts.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Fr33dom

Reaction score
I haven't seen any posts from someone who's done it but you can encrypt your phone.

OP
M

midwestraised

Reaction score
Okay, I tested DejaOffice and CompanionLink over about five days (I think the full period would have been a week) and it seems workable. I have purchased the software and am synching it to Palm Desktop via home wifi. I have it set to synch manually, since I'd only expect it to sync when and where I ask it to. It seems to be pulling in the Google calendar, which is nice. I was trying to stay toward one calendar for frequent updating and Google's calendar works well for this. A potential hitch would be that I share the calendar with one other person for scheduling. That person does not want to see my extras like birthdays, etc. As long as this is a one-way synch from Google Calendar to DejaOffice, this is good.

I think this issue is solved. Yea, and thank you all for all of the great feedback. Wish I was up to speed on the Droid. It is a terrific asset and a phone.

OP
M

midwestraised

Reaction score
Fr33dom, thank you, I did not know this. I think I'm fine with the software I found. If encryption can become the standard, I'll probably hop on board it.

I haven't seen any posts from someone who's done it but you can encrypt your phone.

OP
M

midwestraised

Reaction score
Kooshie,
I hadn't heard of B-folders. If I'd seen your message before hopping on board with CompanionLink, I'd have also checked B-foders out. It sounds like similar technology.

[I use an app called B-folders I sync it between my phone & my husbands. It will also allow you ti sync it to your computer but that's a paid app. I don't use it for contacts but you can. It stores my I for on my sd card and I use a password. It stores all types of information including contacts.
Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums[/QUOTE]]