Send MP3 in text message

MJ5150

Reaction score
I'd like the ability to send MP3's to friends via text messages. So far, the only way I know how to do this is via Handcent. Handcent is a fine app, but way more fluff and features than I need. I believe Chomp SMS can do it too, but I have not verified.

I have seen a few people recommend ASTRO File Manager for this, but it does not have the option to send via the native messaging app or Handcent. I also tried "Explorer" and "AndExplorer". Both let you click on send for a file, then you can even choose "Messaging" to send the file, but when you get to the message screen, the file is gone.

Is there a file explorer app that allows you to do this? Until I find one, I'll just install Handcent each time I need to send an MP3 via text message, then remove it.

-Mike

bwhite757

Reaction score
You can configure handcent to act and look just like the stock messaging app. Then you still have the features you want.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
EStrongs File Explorer allows you to send mp3s via g-mail. Not what you were looking for but a work around. Why not just keep Handcent installed and customize to how you like?

TheBoogeyman209

Reaction score
Can I ask how you send an mp3 in handcent? I tried it once and it came out as some strange format.

OP
MJ5150

MJ5150

Reaction score
Can I ask how you send an mp3 in handcent? I tried it once and it came out as some strange format.

I open the text message box, touch menu, touch attach, touch audio, touch Rings Extended, then it lets me browse my SD card for audio files so I choose one.

The file then inserts into the message, and I touch send. No one has replied back to me reporting any issues with the MP3's or WAV's I sent them so far.

-Mike

Last edited:

robbo323

Reaction score
So you're able to play/send WAV files? I get a file type not supported message when I try to use a wav file. Can't open browsing w/Astro nor attach in Handcent. Am I doing something wrong?

DunkinDave

Reaction score
mp3 files are too big to send on Handcent. Even ones I've broken down with ringdroid

EDIT: you can send around 10-12 seconds worth

Last edited:

cheree553

Reaction score

I open the text message box, touch menu, touch attach, touch audio, touch Rings Extended, then it lets me browse my SD card for audio files so I choose one.

The file then inserts into the message, and I touch send. No one has replied back to me reporting any issues with the MP3's or WAV's I sent them so far.

-Mike

The only difference I see in what I've tried from what you've tried is the "Rings Extended" - what is that? Otherwise - I use handcent - but it does not let me attach mp3 files to a text - it give me the "sorry you cannot attach to this message" or "Message Max size limit reached"....??? what am I doing wrong?