Send email as

ljprevo

Reaction score
Before I get my head cut off I want to assume everyone that I search for this, on the forums and the net.

I have my gmail account, however I would like to send the email as something else. I have my own personal domain name that I forward those emails to my gmail account and I can send email from gmail as "that" email. How can I do this on the phone?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Before I get my head cut off I want to assume everyone that I search for this, on the forums and the net.

I have my gmail account, however I would like to send the email as something else. I have my own personal domain name that I forward those emails to my gmail account and I can send email from gmail as "that" email. How can I do this on the phone?

You set it up on your gmail settings on line. Go to settings/accounts & imports and you will see a link on how to do it there.

KevinJ

Reaction score
I know you can reply to emails from your own domain through gmail on the phone, but I don't know how to compose a new one.

I'd be interested as well. :)

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the method mentioned doesn't work 100% of the time as discussed here:

Issue 1664 - android - Gmail should allow choosing the From: address on an account that has multiple addresses - Project Hosting on Google Code

For example, if the email you are replying to is bcc'd to many people, gmail won't set your from email as desired. Also, you can't compose a new message as mentioned above. I encourage you to go to the above link and star that issue to vote on it.

Now then, my workaround is to use k9 to check gmail. Be sure to turn on IMAP in your gmail.com settings. K9 allows you to reply to or compose a new message and set your from address to anything you like.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

Now then, my workaround is to use k9 to check gmail. Be sure to turn on IMAP in your gmail.com settings. K9 allows you to reply to or compose a new message and set your from address to anything you like.

+1 Was going to suggest this workaround and then saw it here. Though I'm a fan of gmail and its threaded format for email, especially for long threads of messages and replies, there are times when it's just more efficient to see email displayed in the more common format used by Outlook and other email clients.

K-9 is excellent in that respect and works well with the gmail server. And as noted, it allows one to select a unique "from" address.

Setting it up to get gmail, by the way, doesn't affect your gmail email client unless you set K-9 to delete messages on the server. You can use both if you prefer and not worry about deleting email on the gmail server inadvertently.