Selling on Ebay...Help/Advice

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
eBay has an arbitration process. Might be worth looking into so things get resolved amicably

OP
E

egan21

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys.

Here is what I have drafted to send him but I wanted to see what your thoughts were before I send it.

"Norman,

Thanks for the reply, like I have mentioned before I will try to help you as much as I can to get the computer up and running again. I can understand your frustration and I am disappointed our transaction has come to this. I too have not had a problem like this in my ebay dealings as well.

Since you have filed a complaint with paypal I am willing to work with you to get this issue resolved.

As far as the complaint with paypal (Significantly Not As Described), in my Ebay listing I listed the item as used, had several actual pictures of the computer on my kitchen island with all of the accessories, I also had pictures with the computer actually turned on.
In my description I described it to the best of my ability as well as a description from the Dell website directly.
I stated in my auction the computer was used as well as I would not accept returns, I also said it would not be DOA (Dead on Arrival), I also did not offer a warranty with this computer.

So from my end of this transaction, I have done everything on my part the correct way. When the computer arrived it powered up and was working correctly (as you have agreed), but it was when you began to set things up is when the monitor shut off. In this case, I am not liable for what you do to/with the computer after the initial startup. You stated to me on the phone you had your speakers hooked up and you were a DJ, I do not have any control to what you do to or with the computer after the initial startup of the system. For all I know you could have damaged the monitor yourself or even shorted the computer out through your equipment hooked up after the computer was up and running.
Since you have agreed that it did start up normally and was working I shouldn't be held accountable for any change of settings or manipulation of the computer afterwards.

With that said, I will not refund your money. I will however try to help you solve the issue with the computer.

Here are some ideas to help you with trying to figure out what the problem is with the computer.

1.) Connect the computer to an external or another monitor to see if the problem lies within the monitor itself or the computer.

2.) Reset the power to the computer, to do this unplug all power supply from the computer and remove the battery. Once the battery is removed, hold down the power button for 7 seconds to drain all the power from the computer. Let the computer sit for 10 minutes with the battery and all power supplies removed.
Once, this is done replace the battery and restart the computer.

3.) Restart the computer and during the startup hold down the 'FN" button and the monitor button on the keyboard.

Another option is to check with Dell to see if you can get an extended warranty for the computer. I believe an extended warranty will cover all parts and labor.
If you did decide to do this please let me know and I can help you with that and we can try to figure out a way to split the cost of the warranty should you go this route."

What do you guys think?

Thanks a Ton!

thegipper

Reaction score
I guess i have to play the devil's advocate. If i bought a computer and it died the very first day i had it, I'd want a refund too. It is possible that this 4 year old computer met the end of it's lifespan naturally. In that case it seems awfully petty to say well it powered up once for you, not my problem. If the guy had it a week or a couple of days i guess that might be different, but it seems like this guy turned the computer on once, and it died.

Is this a laptop, i was a little confused about that actually.