Securing documents on X2

AZgolfer

Reaction score
[h=2]I have the app. "Documents to Go" and have created a pattern to provide log-in security for the files therein. I transferred a couple files from my Windows 7 PC to my phone but I've discovered that these files are also viewable thru the Internal Phone Storage feature within the "File" application. These files contain passwords, account #s et. How can I secure these documents on an X2 where they're viewable in this manner?[/h]

ELH

Reaction score
You can secure the files, password and encryption, assuming you created them in MS Office, but I'm not sure if the Droid App(s) will open them. let us know, we would probably all like to hear the answer...

OP
A

AZgolfer

Reaction score
Securing Documents

I have files that I created in MS Word and MS Excel. Even though they are password protected in "Documents to Go", they are both still viewable in the "Files" app that came on my X2. The "files" app doesn't have any password protection.

OP
A

AZgolfer

Reaction score
Can you explain how/where to create the folder you mention?

ELH

Reaction score
Try using more than just a password on the original docs, MS Office provides several levels of encryption, depending on which version you're using. I find it hard to believe that Droid can view an encrypted file without the passphrase.

Hell, I'm going to try it right now...

Edit: QuickOffice says, File cannot be opened. Also tried other default apps, none of them can open an MS encrypted file...

Last edited:
OP
A

AZgolfer

Reaction score
Securing Documents on X2 - SUCCESS

I figured out how to do it.
1. Downloaded free version of "Documents to Go". Upon initial start-up it asked for a password or a pattern to secure the contents. I drew a pattern on the 9-key keyboard.
2. Copied the MS Word and MS Excel files from my computer to the SD card. (without encrypting or password protecting them)
3. These files show up both in the "Documents to Go" app and the android "Files" app.
4. Since they're on the SD Card, if you launch the "File" app, a list of your documents appears but when you try to open one, the "Documents to Go" app starts and the 9-key keyboard is presented for my to draw my access pattern.

I think the purchase version of Docs to Go will allow you to password protect your documents within MS Word and I don't think the expense is justified since I can now control access by my access pattern.

Hope this helps others.

ELH

Reaction score
Use DropBox, load it on all your devices and encrypt any required files. You won't be able to view them on your Droid but any other system will suffice...