Second Generation Google Glass Features Improved Design & Enterprise Focus

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
google-glass-2nd-ed-fcc-filing-pics.jpg

It could easily be argued that Google Glass was a big flop, even though it never actually became a true mass-market retail product. Still, that doesn't mean Google has completely given up on the project. In fact, they have already created a second generation version of the device.

Google has wisely decided to focus on the enterprise market with this new version (for at least the time being). It's called the “Google Glass: Enterprise Edition.” This makes sense, because the device was basically just too far ahead of its time. Most consumers are not ready for this level of "connected tech" just yet. It also makes more sense for the device to be useful in the enterprise segment, where business users, construction managers, medical techs, etc., can get full benefit of its functionality.

This next gen version of Google Glass features a few notable enhancements. Here's a quote with the details,

All of the details we previously reported about the device’s internals have been corroborated by The Wall Street Journal, including its Intel Atom processor, improved battery life, and improved “wireless connectivity” (which includes the addition of a 5 GHz WiFi band for video streaming applications). We also mentioned better heat management which is a result of the new chip, and its improved performance. There’s also a yet-to-be-seen Google-made external battery pack, which attaches to the device magnetically.

The device has a more robust build, a larger prism, and has a hinge that allows it to fold and is built to withstand bumps and bruises in the workplace. Additionally, the power button has been moved from its awkward location on the inside to the back of the device, and the front light comes on when the camera is being used. We also reported that the device is waterproof and closed-off, as to protect it from debris and other substances that may damage the hardware.

Do you think Google can eventually develop this into a viable product?

Source: 9to5google

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Anyone here have the 1st gen?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Hopefully they will have an improved price ...but I kind of doubt it.

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
Looks slightly improved from the original "Explorer" edition. Wish they could come up with a way to make it attach to existing prescription frames. I'm also hoping they found a way to make it lighter or more balanced. The Explorer edition I have hurts my ears after extended wear.

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I see me wearing one for communicating a patient's deteriorating condition to the doc. A "I see what you mean" beats a telephone call any time.
Do I EVER see me wearing one as I stroll down the street?
Ahhhhh.......no