SD Card Died?

McBain01

Reaction score
So my wife comes in and shows me that she keeps getting an SD card warning on her phone. I take a look and sure enough, its completely blank. She is running the last liberty rom. Ive tried everything. Going into recovery, i cannot mount the sd card, i cannot format the sd card or anything. It knows its there but it just wont do anything. Root explorer shows no files on it at all.

Everything else seems to be working fine but now a lot of apps arent working properly that use the sd card. Grocery IQ is the one she uses most and it uses the sd card apparently.

The good news is, my backup phone is also a DX (upgraded to GNex) running the last liberty rom but obviously with different apps etc. She needs the phone today so i havent messed with it too much more yet. Can i just load my sd card in her phone and see what happens? Should i format mine first in my phone then load it on her phone? What would be the best way to get her a functioning sd? Thanks in advance

OP
McBain01

McBain01

Reaction score
Anyone? Would like a little insight before i venture into this fairly blindly.

JRParsons

Reaction score
Have you tried putting her sd in a computer, to see if the files are still on it, if they are in would make a copy of the entire card on your hard drive.
You have to determine if it's the phone or the card.
I've had sd cards just go bad on me, where they won't work on anything and I'm unable to retrieve the data.
You could probably put your SD in it to see if the phone will read any card.
If it's the card that's bad, I really have no suggestions. I've never been able to restore one.
If it's the phone, then it is most likely a software issue that is probably going to require a hard reset, either stock or custom.
I don't have a nexus, so there may be better answers out there, but I would use a process of elimination like I described above.
Good luck, even if this doesn't help, at least I've bumped the thread.

Sent from my Illudium PU - 36 Explosive Space Modulator.

OP
McBain01

McBain01

Reaction score
Thanks. I had a similar process in mind. Will probably work on it tomorrow or sunday. To clarify, the nexus isnt the problem, i was just referencing thats what im using currently because its been a while since ive played with the DX. We both have DX's (mine is my back up), her upgrade is at the end of march so i need to squeeze just a little extra life out hers.

SarahSophie

Reaction score
Me too

Same exact thing happened to my card. I contacted Verizon about it and they said if I have a spare SD card to put it in and see if it will recognize it. I didn't have a spare so they sent me another phone and I put in the old SD card in the new phone and it still didn't recognize the SD card. I took the old SD card over a friends house and he tried to see if he could recover any of the pictures or video and needless to say the card was dead. He gave me another SD card to put in my phone and the new SD card worked. The stuff on my old SD card have not been recovered and my friend said he doubts it can be. It made me sick to my stomach that I've lost all those pictures and videos so lesson learned to load everything on to my computer at least once a week.

OP
McBain01

McBain01

Reaction score
Meant to follow up earlier but was traveling for work. Anyway, i had time to work on the issue. Pulled both sd cards and swapped them around between the phones, computer etc. Hers would not get recognized in anything. My card would show up on hers and work fine. So her sd card has definitely died. One thing i noticed while troubleshooting was that the working sd in my old dx was a sandisk card. The dead sd in her dx was not a sandisk card and actually didnt have a logo, just told you it was an sd card 16mb. So my theory is that apparently some people got good sandisk sd cards and others got no name garbage cards, my wifes being one of them. And, as Sarah Sophie pointed out, all the videos and pictures were toast since nothing could be read at all. Sucks

GeraldT

Reaction score
I think I've got the same problem. A few days ago, phone froze & power button wouldn't do a thing, so I had to remove the battery in order to reboot. Since then, sd card is not recognized even after pulling & reseating it. Any chance my data can be recovered?

Sent from my DROID Pro using DroidForums

OP
McBain01

McBain01

Reaction score
No, thats what we were saying. If it gets to this point, its truly dead. No data on it at all and it wont even format. So if you have a non san disk sd card in your DX, back it up now. Back up the san disk as well just to be safe. Dont lose all your pics vids etc.

GeraldT

Reaction score
When I connect to my linux PC, I still get nothing. Trying right now to find the card from my old phone, will post results.

GeraldT

Reaction score
Thought I'd update: card totally dead, so I contacted SanDisk to RMA it. New card working fine so far. Just frustrated that this phone seems to have some design flaw that allows the phone to overheat. I think this is what killed the SD card and what causes pixelating on my display.