sd card damaged

Phin

Reaction score
Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask. My droid is rooted and I have changed the rom to ud 8. Today I get the notification that the sd card is damaged. I used rom manager to create a backup and installed ud from sd card.

So I'm guessing the backed up rom is on the sd card and is lost. I don't really have anything important except the backup on the sd card. What happens if I try to reformat the card? Will the phone still function? is there any copy's of the stock rom on the net anywhere?

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
yeah, stock files are all over. .sbf is the easiest way to go back. Have you tried taking your card out of your phone, and trying it in a card reader on your computer? You might be able to back everything up that way, then reformat your card, and paste everything back to your card.

OP
Phin

Phin

Reaction score
Thanks Bob Dammit For the advice, I was able to read the sd card with an external reader. I have made a copy of it and saved it for now.

Where does clockwork recovery store its backups? The only files I see on the sd card is the update and the UD-eXtreme-8.0.0-sholes.zip files well that and the rest of the files on the card :)

If I reformat the sd card will the phone still function until I can copy/paste the files and reinstall the card. I guess a better way to put it is are all the necessary files to run android independent of the sd card?

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Thanks Bob Dammit For the advice, I was able to read the sd card with an external reader. I have made a copy of it and saved it for now.

Where does clockwork recovery store its backups? The only files I see on the sd card is the update and the UD-eXtreme-8.0.0-sholes.zip files well that and the rest of the files on the card :)

If I reformat the sd card will the phone still function until I can copy/paste the files and reinstall the card. I guess a better way to put it is are all the necessary files to run android independent of the sd card?

Clockwork recovery stores your backups in a folder on your sdcard. All the necessary files to run android are independant of your sdcard, however, your should not format your sdcard with your computer, if that's what you're thinking. Re format your sdcard via the phone's menu system and then (if it works) plug your phone into your pc, mount the card as storage and copy your stuff back to your card.

good luck

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Teddyearp is right. Although u can format with PC then format with phone.

Flashing a .sbf file will not do anything to your sdcard

OP
Phin

Phin

Reaction score
I reformatted the card in the phone and then put it back in the reader. When I started to copy files back onto the card it stopped about halfway and gave me a i/o error. About half the files copied over.

Should I try moving the files via the usb cable and not the reader.

Also I just selected all and moved them to the card thinking that It would just over wright the files from formatting. Was this a bad idea?

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Don't recopy old sdcard files from PC that exist on the sdcard after the phone format.

Should work with the reader but try again with the usb cable

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Also I just selected all and moved them to the card thinking that It would just over wright the files from formatting. Was this a bad idea?

Yes. As Tallica is saying as well

Don't recopy old sdcard files from PC that exist on the sdcard after the phone format.

Should work with the reader but try again with the usb cable

good luck