Screen turning off?

Marcus_Anderson

Reaction score
When my screen is on and I hold my phone straight up and down the screen turns off. But, if I turn my screen on and hold it at an angle, it doesn't. It also does is as soon as I make a phone call and after the call is done. I pull the phone away from my face and the screen doesn't turn back on until the other person hangs up. Please help. Would anyone know what the hell is going on?

monty327

Reaction score
It's good to know this is happening to someone else - I felt bad that no one answered you yet, but maybe if more of us describe what is going on we may find an answer.

I noticed it this morning when I was trying to talk with a client and I was trying to put her on speaker phone. It went black as soon as I answered it. It also goes black if I try to make a phone call. I compared the screen time out with my wife's and hers has the option of 'Never Time out' and 30 minutes. The most mine has is 15 minutes - strange. But what's even stranger is that we both have ours set to 1 minute, but hers works fine. This seems like a proximity range feature gone bad. I'll keep you posted if I find an answer, please do the same for me.

Reaction score
Are either of you using screen protectors? They've been known to cause the proximity sensor to do this. Also, do you have in pocket detection turned on? If so, turn it off, it's wonky for most people and will turn your screen off if you get your face/finger/whatever too close to the sensor.

monty327

Reaction score
I never turned on the pocket feature. I tried messing with my case cover. Both my wife and son have the same phone with the same screen protectors and case protectors but their's are fine. I took off the half that covers the front of the phone and before I could completely mover it, I received a phone call and noticed that it was now working fine. I proceeded to remove it, cleaned my screen, which has a polyeurithane protector. But when I put it all back together again, it was back to the screen disappearing again. So I took off the case covers and left the screen protector on.. phone is fine. I wonder exactly where the proximity locator is?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

Reaction score
The sensor is just to the side of the speaker. You can see it sometimes, if you're in a dark room, or if you take a picture of the front of your phone.