Screen Timeout - Undocked vs. Docked

cyberhap

Reaction score
I like to keep my screen timeout set at 2 minutes, because if I leave it set to "Never Timeout" I'll just plain forget to turn the screen off. With battery life a precious commodity, I can't afford to forget.

When I dock it in the Multimedia Station, however, I want the Droid to stay on at all times (for the clock, weather, etc). It's why I bought the dock. With it set to 2 minute timeout, the dock closes the screen after 2 minutes. Not nice!

That said, I can't find any way to 'have it both ways'. I either keep it set to a 2 minute timeout and the dock will turn off, or set it to never timeout and fear battery drain.

Any suggestions? I don't see any separate dock or charging settings, which stinks. How are you configuring this?

Thanks

GolfProRM

Reaction score
If you have Locale, you can setup a profile so if the phone is charging, the screen won't timeout. That's how I have mine setup - also works great in the car this way.

wil318466

Reaction score
Agreed.

I had the same issue with the screen timing out while driving and listening to radio and whatever. Download Locale, set up 2 profiles, one for "plugged" one for "unplugged". Its under "battery" settings, then "display settings" as a setting. ("Battery" is the condition").

-Wil

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
I have mine set to 30 seconds and that works great for me. However, when I have it in the docking station it always stays on the whole time (no Locale, Screebl, or any other app set). I assume it is because I keep it plugged in when it is in the dock (this way you get an alarm clock and a freshly charged phone every night).

mrschmitz

Reaction score
No app needed! From the main settings:

Applications->Development->Stay awake.

"The screen will never sleep while charging." That is exactly the behavior I wanted, and now have.

OP
C

cyberhap

Reaction score
All excellent suggestions! Thanks! :)

I wonder why they hid the setting in "Development"? I think that was the only menu on the phone I didn't click through.