Screen protectors? Yea or nay.

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
I was looking through the manual on the GS4 and it said "Do not use a screen protector. This causes sensor malfunctions." I just bought a pack of three too....

GVLBob

Reaction score
Is your question "Do screen protectors cause a sensor malfunction on the S4" or "Do we use a screen protector"? If it's question #1, that would depend of whether you bought screen protectors designed for use with the S4 (that is, with the appropriate cut-outs). If you did, there shouldn't be any problems. If you didn't, then you would have to give it a try.

If it is question #2, opinion varies. Droid Life did a survey a while back and the votes were evenly split between those who do and those who don't use a screen protector. I'm one of those who doesn't use a screen protector, BTW.

Last edited:

bbtkd

Reaction score
I tried one briefly when I had an OG Droid, but haven't since I noted how much it degraded the image and I also saw a video where a guy tried to scratch Gorilla Glass 1 using keys and couldn't. Now we're up to GG3 on the S4. Sand and diamonds can scratch it, otherwise you should be good going bareback. As far as degrading sensors, it would have to no matter how thin. It just may not be noticeable.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
I was looking through the manual on the GS4 and it said "Do not use a screen protector. This causes sensor malfunctions." I just bought a pack of three too....

this question comes up from time to time and there are always 6 dozen opinions on the answer. personally, i don't care what the manual says, or how many videos of people trying to inflict damage to the screen there are. im using one, up to the point where there is some noticeable issue with functionality for the device.
these devices cost a lot of money and i don't want to look down the screen and see even the slightest scratch, that cant be fixed by simply applying a new protector.

jmo, there will be many more :)

bbtkd

Reaction score
It should be mentioned that an advantage of the screen protectors is that if you drop it face down on concrete, it will keep the broken shards from falling out and being stepped on. And best of all, those shards won't be scratched.

OP
Bluesman2008

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
I guess I'll pass on the protector and just be careful with it. I've never dropped a phone and I'm super careful with it.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Many screen protectors today do not mess with any of the sensors, in fact there are cutouts as to not interfere with them. Yeah the phone itself uses Gorilla Glass, but if I paid this much for a device I rather spend the extra $9 or so to add a little more protection for it. Plus I resell my devices when I upgrade so I try to keep them in "like new" condition as possible.

Currently I'm using the TechArmor HD line and I love it. Crystal clear so display quality isn't sacrificed for protection, and it's a very smooth protector. At time I forget I have it on. It doesn't interfere with Air View and again, the sensors aren't covered.

kevsgroove

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Last edited:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I use the Spigen Steinheil Ultra Clear screen cover that's first in this list of accessories (ordered from Amazon). Many others swear by the Tech Armor (number 5). Both offer crystal clear protection and peace of mind for your device. However, as mentioned before, there are many opinions on whether to use one or not.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/sa...d-products-screen-protectors-cases-mount.html
Long time fan/user of Spigen products but I just wanted to try something different. I heard alot of good things about TechArmor and it's hard to beat the price and the fact you get 3 of'em. So far I am very happy and it is definitely a toss up for me between TechArmor and Spigen in terms of top 2. The one thing that'll take awhile is durability to test, but so far TechArmor is keeping pace with SGP in my book. I've only had it on for about 2wks, but so far I really like it.

gimpy1

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Droid Turbo
Are you talking the actual picture is degraded when it is taken or the screen distort the picture when it comes up on the phone screen after it has been taken?

KGreis

Reaction score
Are you talking the actual picture is degraded when it is taken or the screen distort the picture when it comes up on the phone screen after it has been taken?

That is a good followup. No idea what hes talking about. But I use a screen protector cuz I dont wanna chance going yo the beach and have sand in my pocket and I put my phone in and theres still some sand in there. (The verizon lady that gave me the phone was trying to get me to buy a bunch of stuff and when I got to the screen protector she was like "IF YOU SCRATCH YOUR SCREEN YOU VOID YOUR WARRENTY so you should get a screen protector" like wtf since when did it void the warrenty lol

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I never use screen protectors as i also feels it degrades the quality of the pictures taken due to some distortion.
This may have been the case a year or two ago, but the screen protector technology has far improved since then. I've used screen protectors since the days of the OG Droid and I can tell you, they've come as far along as cellphone technology itself.

I personally don't see any screen distortion at all with my TechArmor protector on my s4. Sure it holds fingerprints better (which is not a good thing) than the glass itself, but nothing a quick wipe couldn't fix. To each their own though.

I think he's talking about the display quality.

In the past screen protectors did interfere with display quality a bit. However, as I mentioned, today's screen protectors are top notch and don't interfere/distort the display of your phone, in my opinion. There have been countless times where a friend or family member has taken a look at my phone and had no idea a screen protector was on it, but were still very impressed with the display quality of my s4.

Just like the phones from 2 years ago being compared to today's phones, the difference is night and day.