Screen protectors: big differences?

kdkrone

Reaction score
I want to purchase a screen protector. I know I can spend a bunch of money on brands like Zagg, but are they worth it? is there a particular good value out there? if so, which?

Thanks
KK

The ones from the vzw stores scratch easily, my cousin has one he bought off the internet with a lifetime warranty, he paid like 50 bucks for it, but after a year it has no scratches and is just barely peeling off on edges, which warranty will replace, will ask which brand it was and try to post back later.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

IMO, screen protectors are unnecessary. The Gorilla Glass on the X2 will be more scratch resistant than any screen protector you can buy.

I have had zagg on all my Droid X's and my Droid X2. The definitely do the job they were built for. but they are very very rubbery and your fingers will not slide across them smoothly.

The verizon screen protectors tend to dull, and scratch. Steer clear of those.

I just ordered a SGP Steinheil for my Droid X2. Yet to hear anything bad about them.
SGPStore

IMO screen protectors are absolutely useless on today's smartphones. I've never seen a bare screen get scratched unless under extreme circumstances that a Zagg or any other protector isnt going to help anyways.

That being said, i use one just because I don't like constantly having to clean my screen off. I use a antiglare/antifingerprint and love it.

Amazon.com: SGP MOTOROLA Droid X / Droid X2 [Verizon] Screen Protector Steinheil Series [Anti Fingerprint]: Cell Phones & Accessories

They cost $12 and you get two of them. Also, if you screw up installing them and get dust or permanent bubbles under it, they'll usually process a warranty replacement for it if you buy it direct from SGP store.

IMO screen protectors are absolutely useless on today's smartphones. I've never seen a bare screen get scratched unless under extreme circumstances that a Zagg or any other protector isnt going to help anyways.

That being said, i use one just because I don't like constantly having to clean my screen off. I use a antiglare/antifingerprint and love it.

Amazon.com: SGP MOTOROLA Droid X / Droid X2 [Verizon] Screen Protector Steinheil Series [Anti Fingerprint]: Cell Phones & Accessories

They cost $12 and you get two of them. Also, if you screw up installing them and get dust or permanent bubbles under it, they'll usually process a warranty replacement for it if you buy it direct from SGP store.

When i was going through droid x's weekly I stopped putting a screeen protector on them. And i did manage to put a few scratch's in one of my Droid X's.

I ordered the Ultra Crystal.

There is only one reason to use a screen protector on the droid (or any other smartphone) and that's to cut down the reflections on the screen. I ordered a matte anti-glare protector from Boxwave (Boxwave.com) and couldn't be happier with the results. Of course, this is strictly a matter of taste, but hey, whatever floats your boat...

I'll throw a Skinomi endorsement into the fray... I had one on my OG Droid for a year and it held up perfectly. My wife didn't like it when she inherited the phone, so I did some scratch testing with my keys before she peeled it off. It came off without leaving a spec of residue and when I held the skin up to the light, there wasn't a single scratch on it. You'd need a razor blade to do permanent damage.

Zagg have too much of a rubbery fell. SGP is much better. I think ZAGG may protect your phone better if you happen to drop it on it's face. I have a Otterbox defender case when I'm out in the field. But for all other occasions, I don't use any screen protection.

IMO, screen protectors are unnecessary. The Gorilla Glass on the X2 will be more scratch resistant than any screen protector you can buy.

IMO, you are correct!! :) I just upgraded from an LG Ally to the DX2 -- what an upgrade! It's like going from a tricycle to a Harley-Davidson. But one of the things both the DX2 and the Ally have in common is Gorilla Glass.

I'm not going to say it can't be broken, because it can. A friend of mine who also has an Ally dropped his about a year ago, and the screen cracked extensively. However, he's still using the same phone to this day -- cracked screen and all. It's amazing, really.

But with normal care, I never got a single scratch on my Ally's screen. I don't use a screen protector, because I feel they dull the phone's reactivity to touch. Nor do I use a protective case, cover, etc. So maybe I take less-than-normal care. I carry my phone in my pocket, but not in the same pocket in which I carry my keys, change, etc.

I have got to say that I'm a big fan of Gorilla Glass, and I was extremely pleased to learn it is also used in my DX2.

They always seem to be way too much trouble for very little gain.
I've used cans of air in the bathroom after a shower and I still get a bit
of dirt under the protector.

I only have one on my X2 due to the nice lady at the VZ store.
She put it on in a flash and there's not bubbles, creases, or debris under it.
Left up to me I would never have put it on, Gorilla glass is that good.

Back