screen locks during calls, can't hang up, makes me unlock droid to hang up

Silver Member
Reaction score
the only time my phone has ever locked itself while i was using it as a handset and not a speakerphone or during a BT call, was when the other party hung up on me.

i'd test your proximatey sensor to see what it's doing during a call. it should go dark and then light up once the sensor is no longer blocked.

basically, what you're experiencing is not a normal issue, and steps need to be taken to troubleshoot what is happening.

jco

Reaction score
I am having the same problem with my Droid and it is VERY inconvenient to have to enter your unlock pattern to end a call or press the number option on a phone tree! I have not seen any particular sequence of applications or settings that causes this.

I do pull the battery from the phone to reset it, and that seems to fix it for a short time but it reverts back to the lock screen after a short time.

I just now stopped some call log service under settings>applications>running services that was running and tested it, and I didn't have to enter the unlock code... I will do some more testing and post my findings.

-jco

OP
H

hibiscus27

Reaction score
i found my solution for this problem... get KeepScreen. it's AWESOME :icon_ banana:

you can select apps on KeepScreen and it will never lock your screen on those selected apps

fyi - for keeping the phone screen from locking on a call, the app you want to select in KeepScreen is Dialer

StTroyIII

Reaction score
+2 I use this and it works most of the time. Sometimes I have to stop/start Keepscreen again.

i found my solution for this problem... get KeepScreen. it's AWESOME :icon_ banana:

you can select apps on KeepScreen and it will never lock your screen on those selected apps

fyi - for keeping the phone screen from locking on a call, the app you want to select in KeepScreen is Dialer

joenots

Reaction score
I noticed mine locking while in calls after i installed handcent. not sure if it has anything to do with it but thats when it started. just got keepscreen cause the lock pattern is annoying during a call!!!

PridgNYC

Reaction score
Make sure that your finger or hair is not covering the camera on the back of the phone when you hold it to your face, I am pretty sure that the phone is using both the camera and proximity sensor to determine proximity by comparing the difference in light between the two. It uses both sensors for auto brightness as well.

jco

Reaction score
So... It looks like it is the Handcent application service that is causing this on my phone! Every time I start to have this issue, I go to the running services under applications and kill it off. It does not affect the handcent software to be able to receive txt messages... It simply restarts when you open handcent or get a new message. Not sure what the service does, but every time I killed it, my calls and IM's were no longer interrupted by the lock screen.

rbramwell

Reaction score
Droid cuts off most of my calls-second Droid problem

Have medium length hair, if that has anything to do with the problem but every-time I get a call I end up hanging up on them or the keypad buttons start firing as my ear touches the Droid screen.
This is now my second Droid so I don't believe it's a bad phone.
Really like the phone if I don't have to talk to anyone, but what good is a phone that continually hangs up on people. Hate to say it but Droid really sucks in this area. I would say this is a big problem for Droid.
Want to try the Iphone due to this problem. Sorry Droid isn't for long hair.

smokeguy1

Reaction score
My screen locks up too. Mine is from certified as new phone. This is my 3rd phone. I got my 1st Droid less than 90 days ago. Wish I had never bought a Droid phone at all. Original Droid good. Certified as new is a BIG rip off.