screen goes blank after unlock

Eibwen

Reaction score
After downloading a few free wallpapers from the market to my new un-rooted Droid X, I noticed that I could no longer see the main screen. Every time I unlock my phone (using the swipe gesture + draw pattern) the screen goes blank and I can't see anything. Single clicking on any key has no results. The power button works fine; I could still turn on/off or put the phone to airplane mode. Interestingly, I could still bring up the camera by pressing the side button or double tapping on the home key, and I could answer incoming calls. I've tried rebooting and/or removing the battery, but that did not help.

How do I use a PC to remove the free wallpapers (or any 3rd-party apps) on my Droid X? (Is that even possible?) Or performing a factory reset is my only option?

Thanks in advance!

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hey there!

Well you won't be able to select USB Mass Storage when you plug into a computer. So my guess is that you have to pull the SD card out of your phone and use a Reader card that you put into an external or memory slot of your computer.

Do you have one of those?

OP
E

Eibwen

Reaction score
I can still access the contents of the SD card when the phone is plugged into a PC. As I recall, the free wallpaper is actually an app which allows me to preview before saving/downloading the image (jpg) to my phone. I attempted to remove the thumbnail and images of the wallpapers from the SD card, but it's still no go!

I'm thinking of connecting my Droid X to a PC and then using a software to list/view all running/installed apps on the phone. Then just uninstall the wallpaper app from there. Does such software exist?! (normally I can uninstall apps that were downloaded from the market by just using the phone. Since I can't see anything on the screen --> can't do squat!!)

Any input would be appreciated!

OP
E

Eibwen

Reaction score
I'm able to execute adb shell commands. Will try to uninstall data apps and see if it's rectified.

OP
E

Eibwen

Reaction score
Resolved!

Recap of my issue: after I downloaded apps from the market, my screen goes blank everytime I unlock it. In my case, I downloaded the following apps in the following order: ViRobot Mobile, Super Droid Security, AppScan, Nature Wallpapers (yler.) I couldn't see anything on the screen. Hence I couldn't access the settings (or anything) to remove the downloaded apps.

Yes, it is possible to use a PC to remove the (data) apps on Droid X.

Hope this would help those facing similar issue and having the same question.

Last edited:

Slope

Reaction score
What was the process you followed to remove the app from the PC? Was a specific program required?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

OP
E

Eibwen

Reaction score
To remove (data) apps on Droid X using a PC, you will need the following software:

1. Download and install the Android SDK
2. Download and install the Motorola USB Drivers (to enable the Mot Composite ADB interface on your PC)

As in my case, Super Droid Security (SDS) was the one that screwed up my screen. I removed the apps in the last-in-1st-out order (wallpapers -> appscan -> SDS.) The process:

1. After installing the above software, connect DX to PC
2. Run adb devices at the command prompt
3. Then run adb shell pm list packages -f

The prompt should display something like:
C:\>adb shell pm list packages -f
package:/system/app/NetworkLocation.apk=com.google.android.location
package:/system/framework/blur-res.apk=blur.res
package:/system/app/ToggleWidgets.apk=com.motorola.togglewidgets

4. Look for the line with the suspicious/troubled app. The line should begin with something like package:/data/app/

5. To reomve the suspicious app, run adb shell pm uninstall package

Replace package with the entire string on the right side of the equal sign in 4. In my case, it was com.superdroid.security

Be careful with the adb shell commands, especially if you are not comfortable with using command line interface.

Awluiz

Reaction score
Hey, i downloaded some screensavers, and i basically have the same problem. After i turn it on and off, over and over again, it shows the unlock part, when I unlock it, it just goes blank, except for the notification bar you can pull down. but I have the Motorola Droid 1, do you know if this process will work the same for my droid?