Sceeensaver

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Has anyone tried the Screensaver mode with their Z Series phone, with Marshmallow or Nougat? Previous Droid phones called this Daydream and it worked flawlessly. Would display the current time dimly while charging. Worked as a great bed side night clock. I have become very used to it, after having it work so good for 3 years. Looks like Google made it part of Android now and called it Screensaver, even the options look the same. But when it kicked in last night, the time started to display as it should then random parts of the screen started to also display very brightly. The Home and Back buttons, the notification section for battery / cell signal, etc. Very annoying, so I turned that Off. I'm not sure if this is an Android bug with Nougat or an issue with the Z Series phones.

At least I have my Moto 360 and it works great as a nightstand clock while charging.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

redbert31

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried the Screensaver mode with their Z Series phone, with Marshmallow or Nougat? Previous Droid phones called this Daydream and it worked flawlessly. Would display the current time dimly while charging. Worked as a great bed side night clock. I have become very used to it, after having it work so good for 3 years. Looks like Google made it part of Android now and called it Screensaver, even the options look the same. But when it kicked in last night, the time started to display as it should then random parts of the screen started to also display very brightly. The Home and Back buttons, the notification section for battery / cell signal, etc. Very annoying, so I turned that Off. I'm not sure if this is an Android bug with Nougat or an issue with the Z Series phones.

At least I have my Moto 360 and it works great as a nightstand clock while charging.

I didn't try screensaver...I have moto z force on Nougat... How do you turn it on? And how do you turn it off.. I'll try it tonight if you can direct me and I'll tell you tomorrow if it does what you said and will see if it's consistent or just a personal glitch for lucky you...

redbert31

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Currently when I'm charging at night I see the only the time for a second or two if I wave my hand over the phone, then it goes away until i wave my hand over it again

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Settings > Display > Screensaver > Slider to On > Select Clock > Three dot menu > When To > While Charging

43c93b22cf3c7f473b85e80ec798ca0c.jpg

redbert31

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Settings > Display > Screensaver > Slider to On > Select Clock > Three dot menu > When To > While Charging

43c93b22cf3c7f473b85e80ec798ca0c.jpg

Thanks.. I'll try it and let you know

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Thanks redbert. I wonder if it's another feature that Google took from Moto, when they bought them, and Incorporated it into Android for everyone. Most of those they have done a good job with. Not sure about this feature yet?

redbert31

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Thanks redbert. I wonder if it's another feature that Google took from Moto, when they bought them, and Incorporated it into Android for everyone. Most of those they have done a good job with. Not sure about this feature yet?

I just tried it and it works like I expected..a wave over the screen shows the time and just the time for about a second while charging...I wonder what it shows if you select photos?

redbert31

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I have to play around with the phone more..I generally don't get too experimental because I'm afraid of not being able to undo stuff

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I just tried it and it works like I expected..a wave over the screen shows the time and just the time for about a second while charging...I wonder what it shows if you select photos?

When Screensaver kicks in while charging at night you don't have to wave your hand to see the time. It should display the current time very dimly so you can see it, like a nightstand clock. Waving a hand to see the time is part of the normal Moto Active Display features. What I am seeing in Screensaver mode is random parts of my screen lighting up brightly....no hand waving...just let it kicked in while charging in a dark room and sections of the screen are lighting up instead of only displaying the time.

redbert31

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I'm leaving it set up as you instructed overnight tonight and I'll let you know if the time glows dimly... I'll move my charger over near my night table( usually in the bathroom so I don't hear the notifications, but I'll turn them down low.. Remind me tomorrow and I'll let you know... Have a great Saturday... The sun is shining and the wind is blowing here..I need some snow so I can try my snowshoes... I'll have to teach my grandson once Santa brings his

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk