Satellite flybys

bhawks

Reaction score
I was looking for a satellite/International space station tracker app and came across this one. Has anyone used this and is is worth $2.99? It says it will alert you before a flyby is happening in your area (ISS, shuttle, satellite), then you can go outside right away and watch it go by. Seems like a cool idea for an app, just wondering if anyone else has tried it?

The space station is supposed to flyover my area tomorrow so I think ill try it out then and see if it works, if not then return it.

Edit- heres the url to the website, which has a barcode to scan also

Simple Flybys for iPhone and iPod Touch

Last edited:

dclutter1

Reaction score
Let us know if/how well it works.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
B

bhawks

Reaction score
Ended up keeping this app, worked great and its worth the 2.99 for the alerts/ use of your gps location, and also provides a lot of cool info on the satellites/spacecraft that fly over. I just got an alert and stepped outside for three minutes and watched the ISS fly overhead perfectly visible. Its pretty cool to be outside with you friends at night and just say "oh yea here comes a spy satellite over head in 2 minutes" first their like wtf, then there amazed when it actually does. I would recommend it if your interested in that kinda thing.

Would be cool if someone could integrate this with google skymap

MetaLogicalMind

Reaction score
Analytical Graphics, Inc., makers of some of the premier astrodynamics software used in the space industry has just released a new (free) app on the app store that does satellite flyby tracking.

You can find it by searching for "Satellite AR" (for Augmented Reality) or by going here:

About this app

I suppose I should mention that I not only work for the company but help write some of the specific software used in the app. So, I'm a bit biased. However, I did get a chance to go out and test it, and it works pretty well. The only issue with it so far is that many Droid phones have incorrect clocks. They tend to run 15 seconds fast, presumably due to "cheating" and using GPS time instead of UTC (civil) time as it specifies.

Check it out! :)

Canadroid

Reaction score
A
About this app

I suppose I should mention that I not only work for the company but help write some of the specific software used in the app. So, I'm a bit biased. However, I did get a chance to go out and test it, and it works pretty well. The only issue with it so far is that many Droid phones have incorrect clocks. They tend to run 15 seconds fast, presumably due to "cheating" and using GPS time instead of UTC (civil) time as it specifies.

Check it out! :)

This looks really slick, going to try it out tonight.

Anyone know if there is a thread kicking around here yet with a list of 'astronomy / sky apps ' ?

Before I got my droid I hunted down a pretty long list someone had put together, but most of it was for Android 2.1 or older... I'll see if I can dig it up again.