Sandisk Micro Sd 32GB class 10 issue Best Buy on Sale for Razr Maxx * compatibility?

raywhitemn

Reaction score
I recently got this the day after xmas.
[h=3]SanDisk - Ultra 32GB microSDHC Class 10 Memory Card[/h][h=5]Model: SDSDQUI-032G-A11[/h] [h=5]SKU: 3695074 [/h]

It is currently on sale for $29.99 which is a fantastic deal. Unfortunately after getting it home and installing, I found my Razr Maxx developed the Camera / MyGallery glitch and would black screen freeze quite frequently, and it would not recognize several pictures taken with the camera.

I took it back and exchanged the sd card for another and the VZW tech and I tried it there with the same reaction. I then tried the PNY 32gb class 4 micro sd card which is not on sale at $69.99 and low and behold it worked fine.

The Bestbuy / VZW tech did price match the PNY for a Amazon price of $35. I was happy to get a card that worked.

Has anybody else run into this problem? I was under the understanding that sd card class represented top end performance and should not effect devices that were not rated as fast, but you would not want a slow card in a fast machine. Any ideas?

I also saw other posts and someone said they did not have issues, yet I did with the Sandisk. (might be why they are clearing them out)

YellowJacket

Reaction score
I got the same one (San Disk) on Amazon for a bit less. I was a bit disappointed though as things seemed to slow down quite a bit, especially when viewing my gallery. Transferring over USB is about 4mb/sec which puts it on par with a class IV which IMHO is a bit disappointing. It did come in unopened sandisk packaging too....

I have read though that formating it through the phone is recommended so I'll try that after backing up my stuff again and see if it helps.

David

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Class 10 cards are pretty iffy, to be honest, play it safe with a reliable 32GB Class 4 card. End users aren't gonna see a HUGE difference between the two classes when it comes to using them in smartphones. I've always had minor issues here and there with Class 10 cards in the past, and yet none of my class 4 cards give me issues, ever.

And I've always had Moto phones as well.

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
My class 10 is not giving any issues, other than majority of my stuff didn't transfer from my 16GB to the 32 :-(

Yeti35

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S8+ w/ a Tech 21 case
I just purchased one, but not for my phone. I bought it for my GoPro camera. I have not used it on that yet and was under the impression I needed that class of card for the camera to do video more quickly. I hope it was not a bad decision since it was so cheap.

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just purchased one, but not for my phone. I bought it for my GoPro camera. I have not used it on that yet and was under the impression I needed that class of card for the camera to do video more quickly. I hope it was not a bad decision since it was so cheap.

It should work just fine in the GoPro, I would consult their manual/community/forums etc and double check, but I don't see an issue. And yes, when a device is dedicated to video like the GoPro and other recorders, the faster the speed the better as it allows the device to clear its buffer faster and write the information to the storage device (the SD card in this case).

It's Android itself that generally has issues with Class 10 cards.

Nog69

Reaction score
Droid 4 Crashes Badly with Team 32GB SDHC

I recently got this the day after xmas.
[h=3]SanDisk - Ultra 32GB microSDHC Class 10 Memory Card[/h][h=5]Model: SDSDQUI-032G-A11[/h] [h=5]SKU: 3695074 [/h]

It is currently on sale for $29.99 which is a fantastic deal. Unfortunately after getting it home and installing, I found my Razr Maxx developed the Camera / MyGallery glitch and would black screen freeze quite frequently, and it would not recognize several pictures taken with the camera.

I took it back and exchanged the sd card for another and the VZW tech and I tried it there with the same reaction. I then tried the PNY 32gb class 4 micro sd card which is not on sale at $69.99 and low and behold it worked fine.

The Bestbuy / VZW tech did price match the PNY for a Amazon price of $35. I was happy to get a card that worked.

Has anybody else run into this problem? I was under the understanding that sd card class represented top end performance and should not effect devices that were not rated as fast, but you would not want a slow card in a fast machine. Any ideas?

I also saw other posts and someone said they did not have issues, yet I did with the Sandisk. (might be why they are clearing them out)

I have nearly exactly the same problem with my Droid 4 using a Team 32GB class 4 SDHC card. When I install the card, I get the dreaded 'black screen' (Android's version of the MS blue screen), which requires a crash recovery reboot. I've tried formatting the cards every way known to man, both in the phone and in the PC. No matter what I do, the closest I can get, is getting the phone to see the card. If I try to copy any data to it, it crashes. I can't even copy a small amount of data to the card before it crashes. Most of the time, it crashes long before getting to this point. By the way, I have two identical Droid 4 phones (mine and my wife's), and two identical Team SD cards. I have tried both cards with both phones, and no combination works. The chances of both phones and/or both cards being defective are astronomically high, so clearly these cards aren't compatible with the Droid 4. I'm seeing a lot of similar complaints with this and other Droid phones, and other SD cards, so I'd say this problem of there being a lack of true support for 32GB SD cards exists widely among all the Droid line of Motorola phones.

I have been scouring the internet looking for a solution to this, including contacting Verizon, Motorola, and Team customer support and having very long conversations with all of them, trying to troubleshoot this issue. All of them have basically the same response: Keep trying other cards until you find one that works - good luck with that! Motorola has made no attempt whatsoever to validate that a 32GB card (any brand) will actually work with these phones, as they have no documentation to prove it (based on my 2-hour phone call with their customer support), and they have no compatibility lists to share with customers. Their Level 2 customer service rep did say these devices only support up to class 6, but recommend class 4. When pushed, he admitted that, in their lab, they actually only have phones with 16GB cards in them - no 32GB cards. What does that tell you?

Their claims of 32GB card support on these devices is nothing short of fraud, because there is no evidence that they will work with any regularity, or that any attempt was made to prove this claim. Anybody who does get them to work at all, is just lucky. Guess what? You just hit the lottery! Anyone who has good evidence to the contrary, to anything I'm saying here, please share it with the community. This is a huge problem, and if there is a solution to this, I'll be more than happy to be wrong about this one.

Reaction score
I have a PNY class 10 32GB, card that I first used in my bionic, I got it from best buy in October of 2011. Last year, I was upgraded to the Maxx, with so many complaints with the bionic and simply swapped the card over to the Maxx. I have had zero problems with sdcard issues out of either the bionic or Maxx, with this PNY card. Of course it was 90 bucks when I got it, so I guess one could say you get what you pay for. Good luck.