Samsung's Breakthrough OLED Displays with 350ppi Will Soon Surpass iPhone Retina

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Retina-Display-stack-Display.jpeg

Samsung has finally cracked through the barrier that was holding them back with their OLED technology. Previously, it was much more difficult to achieve higher pixel density with OLED tech, than it is with traditional LCD tech, but Samsung's new technology changes that. Their new OLED displays will have a pixel density of 350 pixels per inch, which surpasses the 326ppi in the iPhone Retina display. Having higher pixel density will provide a sharper and more detailed image, while the OLED tech also provides for a brighter image with more contrast, while using less power. There is no word yet, on how soon Samsung will begin using their new technology, but you could probably guess we will start seeing the tech sometime pretty quick.

Source: S3Forums via TalkAndroid

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
looking forward to this , i cant wait until they bring it to tablet technology. my ipad3 screen is 2nd to none IMO . sadly i use it more than my android tablets

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I wonder if this will be able to be used with their flexible screen that they're supposed to have out around Christmas time?

guitarskoota

Reaction score
Hope they patent this so Apple doesn't swoop in and say they invented 350 ppi first. I'm suprised Apple hasnt just already patent trolled and patented every single ppi amount from 326 up.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Technically, the screen tech isn't theirs. Their phone is just the only one that uses it. LG makes their screens so I'm betting that tech belongs to LG.

sb1831

Reaction score
In other news, Apple filed suit claiming that they originally developed the technology for 350ppi screens. Internal documents show that on August 3rd 2012, Apple will say that "More pixels is only common sense. We need to patents that. Hell lets patent common sense while were at it."