Samsung Rolls in the Battle Tanks Against Apple

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
sammylogo1.jpeg

Apple's alleged offer to Samsung where they would pay the Cupertino Company from $5 to $15 per device, has been shot down. On Wednesday, Shin Jong-kyun, Samsungs Mobile Chief, told The Korea Times, after a meeting of senior company officials, that there would be "No compromise!." To drive his point home, the budget for the patent fight has been increased to over $260 million this year from $200 million. An industry expert said "the Samsung leadership has concluded that its fight with Apple, ironically, is helping it.” The Korean company is going to bring the battle to Apple and this is going to be a knock down drag out fight. Apple is in a very precarious position because they have picked a lot of fights with a lot of people, and that can come back to haunt you. This may be the start of a lot of backlash.

Was this a good move on Samsung's part, or should they have rolled over and paid the licensing fees?

Source: Korea Times

Last edited by a moderator:

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
They are all playing a dangerous game, people are foolish if they think there is a good and a bad side here. As Android fans naturally you will side with Samsung but don't be so naive to think they were "pushed" to this point. You know who loses in all of this? Us, because we have to read about this crap every single day. 260 million dollars just to fight patent wars???

mantispid

Reaction score
One thing I learned from dating Korean girls... If a Korean wants to fight, you better get ready to be bruised and bloodied.

meishkov

Reaction score
One thing I learned from dating Korean girls... If a Korean wants to fight, you better get ready to be bruised and bloodied.

Hahahaha, excellent example my friend. I'd have to say that yes, Samsung was pushed by apple to do this. They forced their hand. The world's most valuable company, not sure how, has their monopoly in place. They'll do and say anything to get their way. Like a typical tyrant politician, except more flush with cash than any other player in the game. You either fight for your slice, or you get swallowed up and taken hostage. No new news here.

Sent from my OG using DroidForums

rowdyguy124

Reaction score
The real loosers in all of this are the customers of all technologies as we are paying for this buy purchasing their products. Naturally I side with Sammy and the rest of the Android manufacturers that seem to be constantly bullied by Apple with legal suits and Microsoft's windows tax on Android.

WildcatRudy

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
No they shouldn't roll over (or bend over?) and submit to apple. Samsung did right. Maybe the best thing that can happen is 1) a consumer backlash against apple for being the town bully and 2) apple gets in so many patent lawsuits that it drains their capital trying to defend them.

And we all pay for it. All this extra cost will result in higher costs on the products. I don't think for a minute that these legal costs are absorbed by Samsung, HTC, Google, etc. without some collateral effect down the line. It's like I've said: when you can't innovate, litigate; apple certainly is living up to that reputation.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Well, Apple has like $72B in cash, and Samsung is budgeting $260M for lawsuits? (likely over multiple years). It won't be draining Apple's capital.

But interesting point about the consumer backlash. If I was reading that article correctly, Samsung feels they are benefiting from the lawsuits and that factored into their decision to continue to fight. So they must believe their picking up sales because they are standing up to Apple. Although that's probably just their justification because I have no idea how you'd quantify sales gains from battling Apple in the courtrooms, but they ARE getting a lot of coverage and expsoure which is "free" advertising.

Lucas5

Reaction score
apple can kiss my butt and I hope Samsung kicks apple's butt. They have been acting like a bully and it's time that they've been knocked down a few pegs. I want there to be an even playing field so that there's good competition between all smartphone makers. I would sooner go back to a dumb flip phone before buying an iphone or just being stuck with a single smartphone maker. I love Android and I wouldn't went there to be just Android smartphones, but at least multiple smartphone manufacturers make Android smartphones.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
these companies need to team up against Apple

i.e. Google/Moto. That's why Apple is so obviously sweating that one. Only reason a company of Apple's size would butt into a combination of two much smaller players in different verticals (although Google is really only smaller in the sense of lower revenues because of a very different business model).