Samsung Politely Tells Customers to RTFM in Response to the Backwards S-Pen Silliness

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I completely agree that you should watch how you insert the S-Pen back into the phone if your phone costs around 750$. The note 3 doesn't allow you to stick it in backwards unless you try super hard, while the note 4 might allow you to insert it backwards it doesn't break the phone. In the grand scheme of things, this is a design flaw, because it actually breaks the intended use of the phone if you do it. In the long run i have a feeling Samsung will be held liable for this, as the biggest reason to have the note series is the S-Pen and the functions of that pen. The pen should have never been designed to a point where it could have been inserted backwards.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I love my S pen. 95% of the reason I came back to the Note series.

What do you typically use it for and what actions do you find it most helpful/practical for?

I ask because I'm thinking about a tablet with a stylus, and I'm not sure if I'd use it other than for taking notes and I'm not sure if that (plus handwriting recognition) is quite ready for primetime.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
What do you typically use it for and what actions do you find it most helpful/practical for?

I ask because I'm thinking about a tablet with a stylus, and I'm not sure if I'd use it other than for taking notes and I'm not sure if that (plus handwriting recognition) is quite ready for primetime.
Keep in mind that there's a difference between any old stylus on any tablet and a Samsung S pen on a device made for it. The s pen adds functionality like easier clipping of screenshots and the handwriting recognition is actually pretty darn amazing on the Note series.

If you're talking any brand of tablet with an aftermarket stylus, there are options available for hand writing recognition and etc, but the experience is going to be vastly different than a true s pen experience.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
I use my s-pen stylus on my Note 4 for everything, browsing the Web, scrolling, typing, Note taking, I just used it to type this post.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
If you're talking any brand of tablet with an aftermarket stylus, there are options available for hand writing recognition and etc, but the experience is going to be vastly different than a true s pen experience.

Good point. Unless Sammie comes out with a tablet with the other specs I like (maybe the new S 8.0...don't know why they didn't make the S-pen compatible with the Tab S 8.4), it's not on my radar.

I'm looking at the high-end Asus Zenpad S 8.0 (or 10.0), which should be available any day. It has its own stylus designed specifically for the Zenpad, but obviously no real-word feedback on performance yet. I'm sure it and/or its software won't be as polished as Sammie's, but it looks pretty good.

Beer Goggles

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S8
I use my s-pen stylus on my Note 4 for everything, browsing the Web, scrolling, typing, Note taking, I just used it to type this post.

I do find that I'm using the S-Pen more and more. I've only had the Note 4 for short while, but it's completely awesome and the Note 5 missed it for me with no SD and no removable battery. I'll have the Note 4 for a long time (and then hand it down to my daughter, like I did the S4).

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
In other news, Ford released a press bulletin letting people know not to pour water into their gas tanks and to follow the owner's manual for proper fueling procedures....
Uh, oh...

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note4 using Tapatalk

droidatar

Reaction score
Good point. Unless Sammie comes out with a tablet with the other specs I like (maybe the new S 8.0...don't know why they didn't make the S-pen compatible with the Tab S 8.4), it's not on my radar.

I'm looking at the high-end Asus Zenpad S 8.0 (or 10.0), which should be available any day. It has its own stylus designed specifically for the Zenpad, but obviously no real-word feedback on performance yet. I'm sure it and/or its software won't be as polished as Sammie's, but it looks pretty good.
are you talking about the Sam 10? I have one with an S pen for a couple of years. I used to utilize my s pen all the time but the 10 was just to big to carry. I just opted for the note4 instead of the 5 cost was only $99 and I like the idea of removable battery. With my s4 I purchased a secondary charger along with 2 batteries never need to worry as usually have one extra full with me all the time.

Anyway I'm hoping the Note 4 spen will really WOW me as I shifted apps on my 10 and did not utilize correctly. I use Kii keyboard (no longer available) but can't seem to part with it because I have so many text shortcuts set up. If the Samsung keyboard would offer shortcuts and emoji it would be a no brainer.

ヅ Droidatar
(knows just enuf to brick it)
Rooted S4 MDK I545 stock 4.2.2

"If someone helps, never forget to hit thanks "

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
are you talking about the Sam 10? I have one with an S pen for a couple of years. I used to utilize my s pen all the time but the 10 was just to big to carry. I just opted for the note4 instead of the 5 cost was only $99 and I like the idea of removable battery. With my s4 I purchased a secondary charger along with 2 batteries never need to worry as usually have one extra full with me all the time.

Anyway I'm hoping the Note 4 spen will really WOW me as I shifted apps on my 10 and did not utilize correctly. I use Kii keyboard (no longer available) but can't seem to part with it because I have so many text shortcuts set up. If the Samsung keyboard would offer shortcuts and emoji it would be a no brainer.

ヅ Droidatar
(knows just enuf to brick it)
Rooted S4 MDK I545 stock 4.2.2

"If someone helps, never forget to hit thanks "
I use SwiftKey, best keyboard out there, Samsung keyboard is good also.