Samsung Politely Tells Customers to RTFM in Response to the Backwards S-Pen Silliness

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
note-5-s-pen.png

On Monday, @DroidModderX shared a strange new Samsung Galaxy Note 5 pseudo-controversy. Apparently, some folks who either weren't too bright, or were simply distracted, put the S-Pens for their shiny new Galaxy Note 5 into the phone slot backwards.

It turns out that Samsung didn't prepare for that possibility and the design allows you to install the S-Pen backwards, but once you do so, it cannot be removed without breaking or disassembling the phone. You can check out the internal design of the Note 5 and the particulars why this happens it in this post here: Samsung Galaxy Note 5 Partial Teardown Reveals Why S-Pen Gets Stuck Backwards | Android Forum at DroidForums.net

The problem is being called "Pengate," which is a bit dramatic, but Samsung's response on the matter turns it into a comedy, although it really isn't a laughing matter when you break it down. Samsung basically tells users that they should RTFM. They do it in a very polite way, but it's still pretty comical. Here's a quote from Samsung,

“We highly recommend our Galaxy Note 5 users follow the instructions in the user guide to ensure they do not experience such an unexpected scenario caused by reinserting the S pen in the other way around.”

Overall, even though this is a non-issue for most folks, you can imagine that Note 5 owners with kids, or folks who are simply in a hurry and distracted might make this mistake. Perhaps Sammy should have tested the design a bit further...

Last edited by a moderator:

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Sorry, I have no pity for the people who have a broken SPen now. You push it to click it to pull out. No one is too busy to pay .5 second in which way the pen is facing. And if you give your $700 device to your kid...thats your own fault.
No mercy! I like it. Lol.

Although I can see a scenario where it's feasible for this to happen. I don't put this on Sammy.

Sent from my Note 4

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah... I lean that direction as well, but life is complicated sometimes and it's hard to see things entirely in B&W.

Reactions: cr6

xDMONEYx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Twitter
bentxnail
I dunno, I still can't possibly blame Samsung for this one. If you are assembling something and push something into the wrong place and it causes damage, that's on you and you are SOL. And you'll get the same RTFM response from almost anyone you tell. I don't see this as any different, except that the device is already assembled for you and you simply have to put the pen in the correct way.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If, while you sleep, your kid gets your car keys and drives into an accident is that the auto makers fault?

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
We are dealing with the general public here from all walks of life. Imagine the nightmare it must be to R&D for the masses. Where Sammy should have seen this coming it in no way excuses those folks who didn't take the time to pay attention as to how they are treating their $700 devices.

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
Im sorry. Any one Guilty of this Blunder needs to Return their Note 5 and get an iPhone 6 Plus. They are not Worthy of a Real Phablet.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Apple has to be loving this, Samsung is now catching heat over a design.

Samsung had bend-gate promo's, I am betting Apple will have a promo for their 6s+ that customers do not have to worry about a stylus getting stuck.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
wait? putting the pin in backwards? OMFG... I thought it meant putting it in turned around, as in... the shape of my note 2 pen... I can put it in with the bottom or top (lengthwise) of the pen... but it stops as it doesn't fit properly.

ROFLMFAO come on... I can't actually believe someone is in such a hurry to put the s-pen in.... backwards. lololol..... this is rather amusing... pengate :p

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just another perfect example of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"
The Note 2 stylus worked just fine.
The Note 3 stylus worked just fine.
The Note 4 stylus worked just fine.

An engineer woke up one morning thinking "BRILLIANT, WE'LL FIX THAT!"

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note4 using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
wait? putting the pin in backwards? OMFG... I thought it meant putting it in turned around, as in... the shape of my note 2 pen... I can put it in with the bottom or top (lengthwise) of the pen... but it stops as it doesn't fit properly.

ROFLMFAO come on... I can't actually believe someone is in such a hurry to put the s-pen in.... backwards. lololol..... this is rather amusing... pengate
Wait. Is there a button on that one? With my Note 4, the button can either be up or down. Doesn't matter. Still "locks in". You can't rotate the Note 2 pen with either side up?

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
Wait. Is there a button on that one? With my Note 4, the button can either be up or down. Doesn't matter. Still "locks in". You can't rotate the Note 2 pen with either side up?
That's correct. My wife had the Note2 and the stylus had a flat side, and a curved side so it should only fit one way.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note4 using Tapatalk