Samsung Officially Announces the Galaxy Tab 3 8 and 10.1; Coming in June

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
GALAXY-Tab-3-8-inch-1.jpg
GALAXY-Tab-3-101-inch-11.jpg

For weeks now we have heard rumors and FCC filings about Samsung's newest Galaxy Tab devices. Today they officially announced the Galaxy Tab 3 8-inch and 10.1 inch varieties. Here's are the specs for both devices followed by a press release,

Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8-inch:
  • 1.5Ghz dual-core processor
  • 1.5GB of RAM
  • 16 or 32GB of storage
  • MicroSD card slot
  • 5 megapixel rear camera with no LED flash
  • 1.3MP front camera
  • 8-inch 1280x800 LCD
  • 4,450mAh battery
  • Infrared port
  • Android 4.2
  • WiFi, 3G and LTE models available
Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1-inch:
  • 1.6Ghz dual-core
  • Rear camera 3MP
  • 1GB
  • 16 or 32GB of storage
  • IR port
  • 1280x800 10.1-inch LCD
  • 6,800mAh battery
  • Android 4.2
  • WiFi, 3G and LTE models available
It's strange to see that the larger model has slightly lower-end specs compared to the smaller one. Regardless, both of these are likely to have competitive pricing although those details have not been shared just yet. Here's the official presser,

SEOUL, Korea, June 03, 2013 - Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd, a global leader in digital media and digital convergence technologies, today announced the introduction of the GALAXY Tab 3 8-inch and 10.1-inch which will be available globally beginning of June. Offering an expanded range of options along with previously announced 7-inch version, the GALAXY Tab 3 Series provides customers various ways to view, listen, create, and share meaningful events and special content with those who matter most. Whether surfing the web at home or reading during the commute, each device is packed with enhanced content and intuitive design perfect for viewing or sharing content with friends and family, and capturing all of life’s spontaneous moments.

Samsung GALAXY Tab 3 8-inch
• Exceptional Reading and Entertainment Experience: Designed to be held in one hand, the new GALAXY Tab 3 8-inch is the optimal device for viewing videos, playing enhanced games, and reading e-Books anytime, anywhere. Outstanding slim bezel for effective and maximum screen use makes Samsung’s “reading mode” technology which optimizes the display to deliver perfect illumination and tone for comfortable paperlike readability in a variety of lighting conditions work better on its 8-inch screen. Samsung’s Sound Alive for Audio and Dolby Surround for Video Play maximize every sound allow users to enjoy clearer dialogue, consistent volume levels, and superior audio to further enhance the overall multimedia experience with the new device. Also, the physical keys on the bezel at bottom give users a comfortable smartphone-like experience in navigating.
• Enhanced Smart Usability: Making travel and discovery more effortless, the GALAXY Tab 3 8-inch features S Translator, which provides instant translation through voice recognition and via text on applications including email, text message, and ChatON. This instant translation is possible both from speech-to-text and text-to-speech, ensuring that you can communicate with ease while traveling internationally. Also, S Travel, the Smart Travel Companion, provides real-time local information in need for travel along with user's travel paths. Users can get information and make reservation of the places classified in various categories such as Place, Hotel, Tickets, Food and Forum, and more. In addition, intuitive features such as Story Album and Group Play also allow users more ways to instantly share and enjoy music, photos, documents, and games with those around them.

Samsung GALAXY Tab 3 10.1-inch
• Amplified Multimedia Experience: Built to be the leading 10-inch tablet in the market, the GALAXY Tab 3 10.1-inch seamlessly combines sleek design and enhanced multimedia capabilities for home and family use. Stacked with a 1.6 GHz Dual Core processor, the GALAXY Tab 3 10.1-inch is the ideal device for everyday family use and multimedia consumption. Featuring a comprehensive suite of video, music, and photo software, and coupled with the clarity of its display, the GALAXY Tab 3 10.1 takes center stage for portable home entertainment.
• A Perfect Tablet for the Entire Family: Equipped with Smart Remote and MHL (TV Out) capabilities, the GALAXY Tab 3 10.1 seamlessly transitions from the perfect gaming device for kids to the ideal home media control device for the parents. Whether streaming movies to the family television or playing games at the highest resolution, the GALAXY Tab 3 10.1-inch smoothly integrates into the household media environment for an experience that can be enjoyed by the whole family.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I am completely unimpressed with both of these models. The specs on both of them are terrible, aint that much upgraded from the Galaxy tab 2.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I am completely unimpressed with both of these models. The specs on both of them are terrible, aint that much upgraded from the Galaxy tab 2.
I really hope this isn't becoming the new model of business for Samsung; slightly upgraded hardware. With the s4 (as some may agree or disagree) this could be the new Samsung business model as we know it.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
Regardless of what people on this site think, I think these are going to sell very well. My Tab 2 7.0 has worked well for me and my wife likes it. If the pricing on the Tab 3 8.0 is low enough then I will give the Tab 2 to her and get the Tab 3. For what we and most people use them for (no gaming) a quad core 1.8 GHz processor is useless.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
An 8" tablet is a nice size for reading and browsing, if priced right.

I'd agree about most people not needing more CPU, but 2gigs ram would be better

TheOldFart

Reaction score
An 8" tablet is a nice size for reading and browsing, if priced right.

I'd agree about most people not needing more CPU, but 2gigs ram would be better

The jump to 1.5GB on the 8" will be useful. I like that they reduced the long side bezel on the 8" too. It should be about the same size as the Tab 2 7.0 in width. I want the wider bezel at the ends because of the way I hold it one hand when horizontal. I've already started to prep the wife. I'll have to convince her how nice it would be to have the Tab 2 signed into her own Google account instead of mine. Now to wait for the price of the Tab 3 8.0 to see if I'm willing to spend the money. Might have to wait until a price drop next year.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
The jump to 1.5GB on the 8" will be useful.

True, but not exactly for the longer term. Granted, I'm a power-user but I push my Rezound's 1gig to the max running a very slim rom. 1.5gig with Touchwiz on top of future Android versions just doesn't cut it, IMO. As mostly a media device it's good, but I wouldn't be interested in 1.5gigs of ram just to save $50-$100.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I really hope this isn't becoming the new model of business for Samsung; slightly upgraded hardware. With the s4 (as some may agree or disagree) this could be the new Samsung business model as we know it.

I completely agree, this better not be a trend.

Regardless of what people on this site think, I think these are going to sell very well. My Tab 2 7.0 has worked well for me and my wife likes it. If the pricing on the Tab 3 8.0 is low enough then I will give the Tab 2 to her and get the Tab 3. For what we and most people use them for (no gaming) a quad core 1.8 GHz processor is useless.

I do agree that they will still sell well, merely stating my opinion on that it sucks that they barely managed to upgrade much in terms of hardware but still want top price for it. If it were me, I would just buy a galaxy tab 2 and save myself quite a bit of money.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I'm sure it will sell well and it'll tap into newer territory with it being 8in screen. It's just that it's not as much of an upgrade as many would expect. The industry may have sort of hit a plateau hardware wise, but Samsung seems to be turning these little upgrades into their latest business model trend. In the end, it could hurt them.

wcjeep

Reaction score
Will likely get the 8" for my 8yr old. She can read Kindle books on her own tablet. This should also work great for road trips for streaming from my Seagate wifi hard drive.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I am completely unimpressed with both of these models. aint that much upgraded from the Galaxy tab 2.

Not much of an upgrade from my Tab 1 to be honest.

Support Our Troops! !!!
<><
From a Beano

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Will likely get the 8" for my 8yr old. She can read Kindle books on her own tablet. This should also work great for road trips for streaming from my Seagate wifi hard drive.

If it turns out to be highly priced, she might really enjoya Fire HD 7" or 8.9 if she's going to be mostly reading with it. Until I got a Kindle Paperwhite I used my Fire 1 mostly for reading.

Support Our Troops! !!!
<><
From a Beano

TheOldFart

Reaction score
I completely agree, this better not be a trend.

I do agree that they will still sell well, merely stating my opinion on that it sucks that they barely managed to upgrade much in terms of hardware but still want top price for it. If it were me, I would just buy a galaxy tab 2 and save myself quite a bit of money.

Since the price has not been announced, how do you know what the price will be? Do you have a direct line to someone at Samsung? If so, please tell me the price so that I can either plan to buy it or write it off.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Since the price has not been announced, how do you know what the price will be? Do you have a direct line to someone at Samsung? If so, please tell me the price so that I can either plan to buy it or write it off.
Considering the Tab 2 launched with a price of $250 or so, iirc, the price of the tab 3 could easily be a bit more due to its upgraded hardware specs. I can bet that it won't be lower than the original launch price of the Tab 2. So if it launches at $250 or more, then that can be considered "top price" for not much of an upgrade spec wise.