Samsung Messages app announcing some sender names

anewton

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Hello, I am using the default text messaging app "Messages" on my Samsung Galaxy S5 and I have an interesting problem. Two out of three specific contacts from my "Favorites" (aka "starred") list will have their names announced when I receive a text message from them. I really don't want this behavior for ANY of them.

What do I need to do in order to turn it off this behavior? I've looked all over the settings of the Messages app and the Contacts app, but I seem to be missing it. This doesn't seem to be related to custom messaging ringtones in Contacts because if I give a contact a custom ringtone, it plays that ringtone when I receive a text message from them AND it loudly announces, "You have a message from ..."

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
anewton, do you have any other messaging apps installed on your phone. If so, it may be the settings in one of those triggering the notification announcement.

Or possibly a talking caller ID app that is causing it. My best guess is it is another app that is the culprit. Once you discover which app it is, then you should be able to fix it.

You could also try going into managing apps for Messages and clear cache... Shot in the dark but may be the secret.

sent from my Note3 (soon to be??) using tapatalk

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Go into system settings, language & input, click on "read notifications aloud",
n3qA7x3.jpg
uncheck the box that says "messages from priority contacts" box.
zUXP6Zh.jpg

S5 tap'n

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Thanks cr6. I wish I had those setting on my note3.

sent from my Note3 (soon to be??) using tapatalk

Reactions: cr6
OP
A

anewton

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Thank you, cr6! Those alerts were driving me (and my family) crazy! In hindsight, seems so obvious!

Thanks, again! :)

(As a post-note, I still wonder why it would announce two of my daughters, but not the third, and not my wife. Strange... They're all "starred" as "favorites"... Any insights? It's okay if not, I'm just glad it's fixed!)

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
You're welcome! Glad that worked for you.
Yeah, I'm not sure why it only announced some of your priority contacts and not all. Very strange indeed. I'll do some digging around and see what I can find. If I come up with anything I'll post it here.

S5 tap'n