Samsung Hopes To Have An In Display Fingerprint Scanner For The Note 9

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
20171108000804_0-jpg.78052

It was rumored months before the release of the Galaxy S8 that Samsung would have an In Display Fingerprint scanner for the device. We all know that Samsung wasn't able to make the deadline for the device's release, and instead placed the scanner on the back of the phone which wasn't everyone's favorite. Samsung continued to develop, but were not able to make it happen for the Note 8 either. Now it seems they have decided to abandon the In Display scanner on the Galaxy S9 as well.

According to sources Samsung has finalized the hardware specs of the S9 and S9 Plus. These phones have also gone into pilot production ahead of mass production beginning in December. While we won't see the In Display Fingerprint scanner on the Galaxy S9 Samsung won't be ditching fingerprint scanner tech on their phones since many of their services use it for authentication. They hope to have the tech ready for the Note 9 which should be announced in August of 2018.

via TheInvestor

Attachments

• 20171108000804_0.jpg
    20171108000804_0.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 1,989

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
I honestly wish they would just leave it where it is on the Note8. Works great...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: cr6

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
Honestly, all the bad press of how hard it is to use or reach on the Note8, I found it easy for myself and it works perfectly. I also found having a case actually helped finger placement faster for it.

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe Samsung is just trying to beat Apple to the punch. With some of the issues reported with Face ID, it wouldn't surprise me if the next iPhone incorporates this feature.

Reactions: cr6

The Stig 04

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P (VZ) & S7 Edge (TMO)
Honestly, all the bad press of how hard it is to use or reach on the Note8, I found it easy for myself and it works perfectly. I also found having a case actually helped finger placement faster for it.
While it's not as hard to reach as people made it seem, I still would like to see the finger print sensor moved more middle of the phone like normal and away from the camera.

Rognish

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
rognish
Maybe i'm old school, I haven't even used it once. I either use the Iris scanner or the pattern unlock. I don't even have it set up.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Maybe i'm old school, I haven't even used it once. I either use the Iris scanner or the pattern unlock. I don't even have it set up.

iris scan is not old school -) I only use fingerprint or pin.

I give up giving opinions on the fingerprint location. after all the griping and complaining about it being moved to the back, I found it actually more convenient. so having it below the camera could work okay too.

RyanPm40

Reaction score
The scanner on my S8+ really isn't as hard to reach as I thought it would be and it's really easy to find when you have a case on to feel around the edges. I get to it easily, but I wish it was possibly to rest the bottom of the phone on my pinky and unlock it. I have to center the phone in my hand.