Samsung Galaxy S3 vs RAZR HD

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Initially I only considered the S3 b/c I didn't think they were going to put a Maxx battery in a Razr HD, and because all the people who reviewed it loved it. When I saw that there was a Maxx HD... well, I was really put out, but then I thought about it and you know what? I'm still going to stick with my S3. IMO it feels sooo much better in my hand than any of the Maxx's do, and the battery on it has been great so I won't need the Maxx like I thought I would.

Maybe my next phone will be a Moto in 19 months, but for now I'm happy with my S3. This phone kind of came out of nowhere on me, I had never considered it, but I'm glad I got sick of waiting for a new phone and got this one. I thought I would be settling, but there is nothing "second place" about this device (except for that home screen button, but that's a matter of taste).

I was worried about the battery coming from the MAXX, but besides the MAXX, the S3 has better battery life than any of Verizon's other LTE phones. Plus, the S3 has a removable battery, so you have the option of using either an extended battery or swapping to a second standard battery. With the MAXX, once he juice eventually runs out, you've got to find somewhere to plug it up for a good while.

Raw Dodge

Reaction score
Bottom line is that Motorola dropped the ball with the Razr HD, after releasing back to back device from bionic to razr on 11/11...They basically haven't had a new device since, the razr maxx is just what the razr shouldve been, and droid 4 is different category.. They went from 2 months between the bionic /razr to 10 months between razr and HD... We need something in the middle.. 10 plus months is too long for such a small upgrade. Glad I went with the S3, no regrets, and an unlocked bootloader makes it even sweeter..

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
I'm also in the "initially had no intention of getting an S3" category. I had a Rezound, and honestly, if it didn't magically fly off my lap and shatter on asphalt, then eventually just stop responding, I probably wouldn't be here. But I have to admit, I'm kinda glad it did...and I had an upgrade. Great phone. Few minor issues, but nothing compared to what I've dealt with in the past with new phones. I get comments on it all the time too. The phone is so slick it looks great in almost any case. Check out Galaxy Pack for some live wallpapers that look awesome on this screen.

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
What are the pros and cons with the S3 compared to your Rezound? What features do you think makes it that much better? I was thinking about the S3 but I read (somewhere in these forums) from so many long lists of complaints, I'm not so sure.

I'm also in the "initially had no intention of getting an S3" category. I had a Rezound, and honestly, if it didn't magically fly off my lap and shatter on asphalt, then eventually just stop responding, I probably wouldn't be here. But I have to admit, I'm kinda glad it did...and I had an upgrade. Great phone. Few minor issues, but nothing compared to what I've dealt with in the past with new phones. I get comments on it all the time too. The phone is so slick it looks great in almost any case. Check out Galaxy Pack for some live wallpapers that look awesome on this screen.

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Im here bcos Nexus kept dropping calls,so tech was nice enough to swap me for the S3.I really like the S3,Touchwiz took some time getting use to,batt life is really nice and I get a better signal then the Nexus did.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
What are the pros and cons with the S3 compared to your Rezound? What features do you think makes it that much better? I was thinking about the S3 but I read (somewhere in these forums) from so many long lists of complaints, I'm not so sure.

As I replied in another thread to a post of yours discussing complaints about the S3, most people come to forums when they have a problem. So with any device, you'll see far more negative posts than positive posts. For any negative post about the S3, I'll find an corresponding negative post about the Rezound, Galaxy Nexus, RAZR, Bionic, or any other device. It's just the nature of forums. Most people don't come to post when everything is working great. Having owned pretty much every major Android device on Verizon (and several non-major ones), I can honestly say the S3 is one of the most problem-free devices I've owned. That's not to say that it's perfect, because no device is, but most of the problems you're reading about are the exceptions to the rule. If they weren't, I think the issues would be well known to everyone and extremely widespread given the millions upon millions of S3's that have been sold around the world.

As for the pros and cons of the S3 versus the Rezound, having owned the Rezound, this is how I see them breaking down:

Pros
- A faster, more efficient processor
- 2GB of RAM (not only is the extra memory noticeable in everyday use, but it also makes the device more future-proof)
- Better battery life
- NFC
- Larger screen (half an inch)
- Thinner and lighter
- Touch Whiz has some great built-in features

Cons
- Reception isn't quite as good, although it's much better than any other Samsung Android device that's been on Verizon, and it drops signal less than the Rezound.
- Touch Whiz - it's a little cartoonish for my taste (but then again, so is Sense), but that can easily be taken care of with a custom launcher.

Both have great cameras (I'd give a slight edge to the camera on the S3, but it's extremely slight), 720p displays (between the two, I tend to prefer the Super AMOLED of the S3 myself, but that's personal preference), and both support SVDO (simultaneous voice and data over 3G). The S3 bests the Rezound in pretty much everything, but I'd say it's not a huge step up. Unless you've damaged your Rezound and have to get a new phone, or unless you're like me and constantly change devices every couple of months, you're probably not going to see a massive difference in switching from the Rezound to the S3. At this point, unless your Rezound has bitten the dust or is full of problems, I'd wait and see what's coming around the corner with the rumored 1080p HTC, the possibility of the Galaxy Note 2, and information on the next Nexus (or the multiple Nexus devices).

Last edited:

DevilDogMP

Silver Member
Reaction score
The s3 is far more expensive though. Do you think the price difference is where it should be? Because like others said, there isnt a far distance between the two phones when it comes to software.

Sent from my DROID Bionic using Tapatalk

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
The s3 is far more expensive though. Do you think the price difference is where it should be? Because like others said, there isnt a far distance between the two phones when it comes to software.

Sent from my DROID Bionic using Tapatalk

Well, you're talking about a phone that's almost a year old versus a phone that's only two months old. There's naturally going to be a price difference in on-contract price as well as with resale value (the full retail prices are similar). And it's the hardware, not so much the software, that will have a greater impact on that. The S3 offers a step up in nearly every aspect on hardware, along with the probability of a longer time frame of official software support (since it's newer) from this point onward.

lugodx

Reaction score
Ozzzy3z said:
I constantly hear how Motorola radios are better than Samsung. From my perspective this is no longer true. My S3 blows my Droid X our of the water when it comes to signal strength. I am typing this reply from my office - a place my X couldn't even get a signal.

And for the speaker thing. My s3 blows my old MAXX away.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
And for the speaker thing. My s3 blows my old MAXX away.

I'll definitely agree with that. The speaker on the S3 is very good, and definitely sounds better than the speaker on my MAXX did.

OP
CuriousRaven

CuriousRaven

Reaction score
bsweetness,
Thank you for the best Pro's and Con's list I have seen comparing these two devices. :hail:

Z06_Mir

Reaction score
The only thing I truly miss from my thunderbolt is the clock from sense. The integration of the weather was great (who doesn't love when the windshield wipers come on?!) and most importantly the access to the clock. The alarm clock on the s3 blows and mine works sparingly at best. I set the alarm from the stock app, alarm klock and the I set it on my galaxy tab 10.1 also. And the ring selection for alarms is terrible. I'm not gonna wake up to some soothing sounds, I need a ring.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I hate to be the bearer of bad news people.. but there's no true way to do an accurate pros and cons list yet... we don't know everything about the HD... just saying...

And I say this as a moto fanboy lol

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I hate to be the bearer of bad news people.. but there's no true way to do an accurate pros and cons list yet... we don't know everything about the HD... just saying...

And I say this as a moto fanboy lol

That's why I haven't done one yet. My list above is in response to someone who asked for the pros and cons of the S3 versus the Rezound. :)

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Reading is your friend!!