Samsung Galaxy Note 4's Common Problems and How to Fix Them

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I can see the logic in that. Just never had an issue that I needed to FDR for when I first purchased a device.

Many people, if not most people, never really have that issue. Personally, I think it's something that's worth doing just in case. If you do it right after receiving a new phone, it doesn't take that long and you don't lose much in the way of progress that you've made with setting up the device. It's just a better safe than sorry thing for many.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Many people, if not most people, never really have that issue. Personally, I think it's something that's worth doing just in case. If you do it right after receiving a new phone, it doesn't take that long and you don't lose much in the way of progress that you've made with setting up the device. It's just a better safe than sorry thing for many.

I suppose I'll join your side the first time I set up a device completely and then have to turn around and reset it and set it all up again.

Until then, I get too excited to get started using new devices.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
No factory reset. Would not think it necessary.
I've seen factory resets fix issues that literally NOTHING else could more times than I can count. I like to make it the very last resort, but it does work for most little, but annoying, glitches and bugs.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I absolutely agree with the FDR on a brand new device. Whether it's a placebo or actually works doesn't really matter. It takes all of 2 minutes to do and performing it BEFORE you set everything up simply makes sense. As I mentioned in a previous post, I've been doing it since I got my original Galaxy S and its the first thing I do after charging my new device.

S5 tap'n

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, did you do a factory data reset on your phone when you bought it?
I've found over the years a half dozen or so reboots over a few days accomplishes just as much. Every new firmware update I get I do a triple reboot (reboot 3 times but not in a row) the same day it installs and no longer get the bugs I used to get afterwards.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've seen factory resets fix issues that literally NOTHING else could more times than I can count. I like to make it the very last resort, but it does work for most little, but annoying, glitches and bugs.
I had to do that recently on my old Galaxy Tab 1. 3 years worth of built up whatever got it running super slow with a lot of freezes and crashes. Everything short of fdr didn't work so I did the fdr and the thing runs like it did back in 2011 when it was new.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I just hope 5.0.1 fixes the lag on my Nexus 7, because I did an FDR right away after manually installing 5.0 and it's never been a race horse, but there is visible, probably measurable lag after updating.