Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Could Come with an Ultraviolet Sensor

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
smartphoone-outside-in-the-sun.jpg

How would you feel if your brand new Samsung Galaxy Note 4 let you know you should put on sunscreen because of the volume of ultraviolet rays that are out that day? It's a bit of a gimmick, but Samsung is the king of throwing those into their devices, and the latest rumint suggests that might just happen.

Supposedly, the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 might have an ultraviolet sensor as part of its S Health line of services. This sensor will allow the phone to warn you when your skin might need some extra protection because the Sun's rays are a bit too caustic at that moment. The phone will actually be able to measure and inform of you of the UV Index level at that time, simply by holding the device at a 60 degree angle of elevation towards the sun.

Here's a quote below discussing some of the facts and myths about ultraviolet radiation.

The truths:
  • A tan results from your body defending itself against further damage from UV radiation.
  • A dark tan on white skin offers only limited protection equivalent to an SPF of about 4.
  • Up to 80% of solar UV radiation can penetrate light cloud cover. Haze in the atmosphere can even increase UV radiation exposure.
  • Water offers only minimal protection from UV radiation, and reflection from water can enhance your UV radiation exposure.
  • UV radiation is generally lower during the winter months, but snow reflection can double your overall exposure, especially at high altitude. Pay particular attention in early spring when temperatures are low but sun's rays are unexpectedly strong.
  • Sunscreens should not be used to increase sun exposure time but to increase protection during unavoidable exposure. The protection they afford depends critically on their correct application.
  • UV radiation exposure is cumulative during the day.
  • Sunburn is caused by UV radiation which cannot be felt. The heating effect is caused by the sun's infrared radiation and not by UV radiation
The statements below are false:
  • A suntan is healthy.
  • A tan protects you from the sun.
  • You can't get sunburnt on a cloudy day.
  • You can't get sunburnt while in the water.
  • UV radiation during the winter is not dangerous.
  • Sunscreens protect me so I can sunbathe much longer.
  • If you take regular breaks during sunbathing you won't get sunburnt.
  • If you don't fell the hot rays of the sun you won't get sunburnt.
What would you think of this feature if the Galaxy Note 4 actually included it? At first blush it seems silly because we should know and be careful about the sun, but sometimes it's easy to forget. Maybe a gentle reminder from our device might not be too bad...

Source: SamMobile

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Kinda like the heart rate monitor on the S5. I used it once to see if it works (it does) but not something I will use on a regular basis.

tap'n on my S5

Last edited:

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
The list of "Note 4 maybes" is getting ridiculous. At this point, I expect the next rumor to be that the Note 4 may be coming with the most powerful Dyson vacuum yet built in. The stylus is hollow and can be used in upholstery cracks.

Sorry to give it away before the official rumint release...

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
The list of "Note 4 maybes" is getting ridiculous. At this point, I expect the next rumor to be that the Note 4 may be coming with the most powerful Dyson vacuum yet built in. The stylus is hollow and can be used in upholstery cracks.

LOL!!!!

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

My insider sources have suggested a built-in toaster oven, the vacuum will be an option only found on the international version. ;)

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
They can sell a lot of them here for sure...

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
For me, completely useless because I'm black and I don't tan. I was born with my tan so Samsung I expect a discount on my Note 4. :D
Actually African Americans are more prone to skin cancer, because you have dark skin does not mean you are immune to skin diseases brought on by the suns ultra violet rays, now to Samsung, Samsung should just relax with all these gimmicks and concentrate to make a more streamline device with LESS bloat that takes up unnecessary storage space, just develop an app for that and give the consumer a choice to utilize it whenever he/she wishes.

squeak

Reaction score
This is why the model of phone design and sales needs to change. I have no use for this. I would actually rather not have this, a heart rate sensor, a fingerprint scanner, a vacuum, or a toaster oven built into my phone. Phones should have options like PCs do. You want a front facing camera, you got it. Don't want it, save $10. It could easily be done: build one main board and two or three frame/screen sizes, offer almost all of the sensors and other goodies as options. Rear facing camera could be standard (with possibly upgrades), but the IR blaster, front camera, fingerprint scanner, laser focus, barometer, heart rate sensor, stylus, and anything else they imagine could be optional.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is why the model of phone design and sales needs to change. I have no use for this. I would actually rather not have this, a heart rate sensor, a fingerprint scanner, a vacuum, or a toaster oven built into my phone. Phones should have options like PCs do. You want a front facing camera, you got it. Don't want it, save $10. It could easily be done: build one main board and two or three frame/screen sizes, offer almost all of the sensors and other goodies as options. Rear facing camera could be standard (with possibly upgrades), but the IR blaster, front camera, fingerprint scanner, laser focus, barometer, heart rate sensor, stylus, and anything else they imagine could be optional.
How about a straight forward non bloated device, except for Samsung app store, and I can choose which stuff I want?
But even native Android is smothered in bloat now so.....

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
How about a straight forward non bloated device, except for Samsung app store, and I can choose which stuff I want?
But even native Android is smothered in bloat now so.....

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk
+1 on this that is main I reason I still root phones ..